CheshireCat

First time under 1.0WL

Recently I was jumping Skymaster 230 and similar, about 36 jumps total. Canopy control and landings are good - according to instructors. I believe it is time to move forward and try something in 1.0 WL range (I am 175 pounds).
Of course I will talk to instructors, just curious about your first time under canopy smaller than "student" size. I understand that it is better to control the opening and everything just "happens faster". Any special issues I should be aware about?

I would recomend looking around for someone to help you out. Maybe someone has a 190 they dont often jump. Usually a beer or two is a fair trade for the chance to jump a canopy to see if it would be good for you. Rather than jumping from a 230 to a 150 you could step down slowly with friend's gear. Save some cash and maybe some femurs.

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

When I was buying gear, I was skinny (probably 155 pounds, 180 out the door). The DZ was new and had only Skymaster 295s for rentals.

After graduating AFF, I asked people what I should be jumping. The replies were evenly split between 190 and 210, I found a used Turbo Z 205, and started using that on jump #13.

Found that it was surprisingly fast, it planed out on landing, I didn't finish flaring, and I got a bit grass stained.

That said, I wouldn't recommend such a large jump. It's less easy to hurt yourself under a larger parachute but still possible (I think the small woman I know who broke both wrists did it under something arround 200 square feet). While physics mean that smaller canopies aren't much faster, they seem a lot quicker. Individuals react differently to this and the increased control sensitivity - I didn't have any real problems until I got my Stiletto and couldn't fly in a straight line when landing.

Well, i assume that if you say 1.0 WL range you mean something like a 170, not a 150. a 170 should be ok for you, depending on your proficiency. I would definitely do a few jumps on a 190, if a 210 is available, that one before. This will gradually lead you to the speed you will have to handle, and you can always go back up one size for reevaluation, which i did twice for afew jumps just to compare.
Being at the same weight as you are, you should be able to handle a 190 and later 170 well, if your instructors give you green lights.
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

Open high on the first jumps. Learn the stall point and practise flares.

Be careful about old f-111 canopies. If the fabric is worn out, you will crash unless you do a frontriser high speed approach (and you don't want to try that with 36 jumps on a new canopy.)

I'm the same weight as you, and I got a Hornet 170 at 75 jumps. It's forgiving enough, but small fuckups (like not flaring) requires that you can take a tumble without getting hurt.

Try some different canopies and sizes. If you do five demo jumps on each canopy at a sabre2, saber1, hornet and spectre at sizes 210, 190 and 170 you will have 100 jumps and maybe beginning to be ready to buy your own gear.

What you should be aware of?
Faster means it can hurt more.
Remember Newton....

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Well, i assume that if you say 1.0 WL range you mean something like a 170, not a 150.

I assume you mean 190 as he is 170 pounds (excl gear I'm assuming).

Either way - yeah a 190 would most likely be better. I still wonder why people come online for these questions though - aren't there approachable instructors at any of these dz's???

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

I still wonder why people come online for these questions though - aren't there approachable instructors at any of these dz's???

Of course there are. Speaking with few instructors and friends results in getting more or less similar opinions due to being on the same DZ. I do believe in information sharing and this forum is a great place to do so. Please mind that the original question was "What are the things to be aware about"?

Hey man,

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying don't ask questions here, or anywhere for that matter. I was just making a general observation. Wasn't trying to single you out or anything.

fact of the matter is that a LOT of people come here asking questions looking for just 1 person so agree with them so they feel justified in their position. Not saying that's you either, just kinda making a general comment.

Sorry for any confusion.

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team