Otter

Beech 1900 for skydiving.

Does anyone know if a Beech 1900 would make a suitable jump plane ? I am trying to find a DZ which might have test one, but is pretty hard up to now.
I would be most grateful for any comment or piece of advice.
---------------
Alex / FLY4FUN Team - Curious? ready, set, CLICK!

Does anyone know if a Beech 1900 would make a suitable jump plane ? I am trying to find a DZ which might have test one, but is pretty hard up to now.
I would be most grateful for any comment or piece of advice.

I think the 1900 would make a decent jump plane given the right circumstances. You need two pilots though. It has a nice T tail and a big cargo door. I'm sure that some lines would need to be painted so that jumpers wouldn't overload the tail. But talking with some former and current 1900 drivers it can really take a lot of tail heaviness. It's an interesting idea. You just need a DZ that can support it or have a really good boogie circuit plan for it.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

Here is the model I am inquiring about. My concern is for the mentioned strakes just behind the door. They seem to be pretty hazardous for big ways or even a solo diver.
There´s a Boogie coming up in September in CHILE and the organisers have four of these 1900 (2 passengers and 2 cargo) which could be used instead of a military CASA 235.
What about forward speed on exit ? How much can this plane decrease?
---------------
Alex / FLY4FUN Team - Curious? ready, set, CLICK!

My concern is for the mentioned strakes just behind the door.

I think if it has the strakes it wouldn't make a good jumpship. I wouldn't jump it.

Hook

No strakes! http://www.airliners.net/open.file/381814/M/

Just a centerline fin. I knew they didn't all have them.

edit: and another one http://www.airliners.net/open.file/244750/M/
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

Oh...so I show you up on the strakes so now it's the horizontal.

Did you expect otherwise?:P Once you find a 1900 w/o the little horizontals, then I'll ask if the little vertical fins on the stabilizer are a problem:P.

Maybe a 1900A?

Hook

Ok...after looking through airliners.net I can't find a pic without the horizontal there. No, I don't think it moves and I don't think it can be removed. But, is it closer to the door than the king air horizontal is now? You jump those don't you?
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

Ok...after looking through airliners.net I can't find a pic without the horizontal there.

I was looking through it too and couldn't find one either. I did find this tidbit though " The Beech 1900 is a pressurized version of the Model 99 and first flew in 1982. Both the 99 and 1900 are based on the popular Beech King Air and Queen Air light executive aircraft."

But, is it closer to the door than the king air horizontal is now?

Closer and lower, I think.

Hook

I had thought that the old ones didn't have those but I can't find any pics either so I must be wrong.

I flew on a C model once I think. Neat little plane No standup headroom though, especially near the tail. The D model has a higher ceiling so passengers can stand up straight.

Edit: ok, i looked it up. They're called stabilons and they're on every model as best as i can tell.

Dave

I had thought that the old ones didn't have those but I can't find any pics either so I must be wrong.

I flew on a C model once I think. Neat little plane No standup headroom though, especially near the tail. The D model has a higher ceiling so passengers can stand up straight.

Edit: ok, i looked it up. They're called stabilons and they're on every model as best as i can tell.

Dave

Yah, how many fins DOES it take to make the thing go straight?