Normandy

Participants Needed: World War II Airborne Demonstration Team August Training

That is absolutely correct, especially in a "mass tactical" scenario. These jumps are generally performed, even today, with round, non-steerable mains like the T-10 and T-10C. The intent is for the personnel, because of their close proximity to each other, to NOT steer (by means of "slipping") until right before landing. This, to prevent canopy collisions.

Chuck

You said MASS TAC. I just got a shiver;)

This, to prevent canopy collisions.

thats what I said when I was asked by a new guy why I was putting a fair sized rock in my cargo pocket before a night MASS TAC when I was in the 82nd
:D
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

there is a huge difference jumping a T-10 static line with military gear and jumping Para Commander......

And there is also a significant difference in comfort when jumping the canopy-first deployment of a WWII T-7, as opposed to the lines-first deployment of a T-10, which first appeared part way through the Korean War.

Mark

Hi Beowulf,

I did some research over the weekend. FYI, to my knowledge thw World War II ADT is the only organization doing T-10 static line jumping outside of the military. If you or anyone learns of anyone else who does T-10 static line jumping, I would welcome hearing about it.

Many thanks.

Generally speaking, in order to do any sort of demonstration jump in the U.S. a jumper would need to have a D License from the USPA (1) so as to get the approval and co-operation of the FAA.

Not true. The USPA is a not-for-profit organization. The FAA "recognizes" the USPA as the "oldest" organization to provide ratings, but it is certainly not the only. Over the years, a lot of folks became disenchanted with the USPA and started organizations of their own... including Roger Nelson.

The FAA doesn't give a rat's ass about anyone jumping out of a plane as long as they have a reserve in date and comply with the FARs.

You could start a new skydiving organization tomorrow and it would have the same entitlement to the sky that members of the USPA hold.

Well, I don't know if they're T-10 specific. Nor, is their mission statement focused on WWII - but there is a group in Florida called, "Southern Comfort" that jumps static-lined rounds - most of whom are retirees with a wallet full of military certifications.

From memory (someone correct me if I'm wrong), I believe they still hold the record for the "most" guys to do a HAHO static-line jump from 26,000 feet. I know some guys from UK made higher, but their weren't as many at one time.

Criminitly! Didn't I put enough disclaimers and other crap in the statement so as to make it understandable?

"Generally speaking", "demonstration jump", "approval and co-operation of the FAA."

I'm not saying it's impossible, I just wanna know how they're going about it.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I'm sorry, quade... I'm sitting here laughing me butt off... Feel like I been biotch slapped.

OK. To answer your question, they do it very well. ;)

Actually, they prefer previous Airborne-qualified folks. If you're not Airborne, you have to go through the two week Airborne-model course.

Once you've completed the Airborne-qualified refresher or gone through their jump school, you must purchase authentic WWII uniform and boots.

They fly around the country and Europe doing the demos and call everyone to see who can make it. Meet at an airport, pick everyone up, go do it. They have a rigger's shed that is complimentary to anything you'd see at Bragg (even have a harness machine that some of the local sport riggers use on occasion) and supply all the parachute and reserves. If you want your own, they can purchase and house them at their HQ and bring it to you before the jump at the RP.

That's really about it.

Keith

Hey Keith,

You seem to know a lot about these guys. Did you jump with them and if so what did you think of it? Cause it is definitely on my To Do list.
I am not much worried about how they are managing to do their demo jumps, just making sure I set money aside for their jump course.
By the way Normandy do you only do two jump course's a year?

I've known the Founder and the Parachute Company Commander for 20ish years. We served in SF together. I used to be a member of ADT, but gave it up because I couldn't split my time between teaching skydiving and ADT membership effectively.

Their jump course is the same you would get at Benning. Yes, they do two courses a year, more if the demand requires. They are going to Europe again next year to make a demo jump for the 60th Anniversary of D-Day.