Ronn

Wright brothers Skydiving closes

Were these the guys with the plane going down and issues of transport regulation, maintenance etc? Is that why they were closed?
---------------------------------------------------------
When people look like ants - pull. When ants look like people - pray.

The FFA closed down WBS. Does anyone know for how long? What are their plans now?

This is Creswell, OR right? Had the Caravan with fuel contamination earlier this year? Do you have more info as to what action exactly the FAA is taking?
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

Yeah, the WBS from Creswell, OR. I don't really want to get into what caused the closure, but I can find out more about the FAA action being taken. I imagine if someone else sees this they will discuss the events that lead up to the closure and I welcome them to do so, but I don't want to be that person.
Blues Skies,

Ronn

I'll be very interested to see if this turns out to be true. What enforcement action has been taken? The debate has already been fought in Incidents about what enforcement the FAA -CAN- take against this DZ. I'm curious what settled out in the end.

Since Ron doesn't want to say it, this is the DZ that crashed their Caravan earlier this year. The plane was being rented illegally to the local police for a prisoner transportation flight when it went down apparently from contaminated fuel. Nobody was hurt but the plane was damaged and hasn't been seen on the field since the accident despite rumors that it was being repaired.

If it is true, it's always sad to see a DZ close. Many jumpers considered it home and will miss it. But I believe this DZ brought it on themselves. And it's less sad than it might be since there is another DZ twenty feet away if the Wrights' customers still want to jump.

The cross-DZ atmosphere on this field have always been somewhat tense, and I'm sure many of the Wright's regulars will feel loyalty constrains them from moving next door, but hopefully they will recognize that the owners were in a simple business-to-business competitive struggle and band together without hard feelings.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

There were a series of things that went on from what i've heard.

one was that the owner flew an illegal demo jump on the 4th of july and had explicit instructions to not do the jump. so there were no waivers, insurance, ect.

also what shut them down, temporerly, was that the FAA came and checked their only plane that was still flying and found that it had major maintance problems. so they could fly that untill that's fixed and checked out again.

but the latest i've heard, yesterday, was that their gonna fire up one of their other cessna's that went down or had something wrong with it so they can get some loads up.
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

You are right on all accounts. Also if you read Stuarts post you should know he is right too. I am a jumper with Eugene Skydivers, so the closure doesn't affect me. I believe what was done was brought on themselves, but on the other hand I don't like to see the sport, or the sport in Oregon, get a black eye. I too am curious to see how this plays out with the FAA.

Ronn
Blues Skies,

Ronn

First of all, the FAA did not shut down the Dropzone at Wright Bros. Skydiving. They are still up and running as usual. The FAA, on a pop inspection, found some corrosion under the battery tray where some acid had spilled during charging. It was not a structural or safety issue. It is currently being taken care of. Second, the other airplane that is currently flying for them had not been downed, or anything of the sort. It was being rented by Skydive Paradise in CA. The DZO down there had some aircraft problems and Wright Bros. came to their aid by loaning them their spare 182.
It is so distastfull for all of the jumpers out there to jump on the band wagon and start slandering when they know good and well that Wright Bros. is not closing their doors. I thought that skydivers in general were suppose to stick together. As for the exprerienced jumpers, why take sides and try to badmouth one another's home DZ's? They benefit from the competition (competing jump prices, twice as many boogies/events). Try not to crap where you eat guys, we're all in the skydiving community together. Let's act like it!!
J.T.

Well Thank you Superstu for the clarification on the fourth of July. BUT, for the record let me clarify! As a matter of fact, the jump was NOT illegal, it was requested by a private party, for the jumpers to land on private land...my land. However, large groups of people were trespassing on the property in order to get a better seat for the festivities and made it unsafe for the jumpers to land in the designated landing area...my area...and therefore they landed approximately fifty feet to the east...safely!Unfortunately, you spend your time speaking what you know not of!
The Chamber of Commerce, nor the Kiwanis, who puts the program on each year, complained!