Jumpsat14k

Swimming

Just completed Cat C and D-1 Today, 6th total. Still having a tough time on exit with some swimming, 2 to 3 sec. then settle out real quick, good form, good awareness, nice canopy control and some real close landings and all but that first step still gets to me. Any advise might prove useful. Blue skies and de Vinci was OH so right. Mike
Party like it's $19.99

I didn't swim but I had problems trying to run back to the plane after exit. I solved the problem by locking my legs out for the first few seconds after exiting. I exited from a Cessna 182 in the hanging position so it was not a problem for me. Depending on the type of exit you are doing this may or may not work.

Your mileage may vary. Not valid in states where illegal. Must be 18 years old to play. May cause.......................

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." Ben Franklin

solved the problem by locking my legs out for the first few seconds after exiting

You lose quite a bit of roll stability with your legs together instead of spread open.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

What kind of plane?

In Cessna land you just need to combine a "pelvic thrust" with a belly-flop dive (spread arms and legs in 'X' style) and you're in! You would be doing a hanging or poised exit from that plane already, right?

If you're going out of a Kingair or Otter (dive style), pretend you're superman (arms out) and make a CONSCIOUS effort to kick yourself in the ass. This would be the classic 'dive form door exit' and you stabilize into a boxman from there.

Dave

PS: never done a Tw'Otter but the Kingair is like a backwards Cessna

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

If you're going out of a Kingair or Otter (dive style), pretend you're superman (arms out) and make a CONSCIOUS effort to kick yourself in the ass. This would be the classic 'dive form door exit' and you stabilize into a boxman from there.

Whell that's the dive I was thought if diving towards the back of the plane in order to not to do a frontflip with the relative wind.

On my earlier (up to level 4) however I had to dive 90° out of the plane. Not the best exit cause you can do a barrelroll quite easy but this way you can simply concentrate on leg position (arms you see so no real concentration needed) and arch from the momemt you exit. Untill level 4 means I had an instructor holding on (touching) to me with the exit so the barrel roll was not a problem.

I had "swimming legs" (nice description!) the first few jumps. My sollution was to sit in the door concentrating solely on your position. Jump and BAM, immediatly concentrate on position again. Arms are easy, you see them, arch is also doable (as hard as you can) but legs you need to find out how far out.
Why did this work for me (I think)? Because I didn't give my brain a chance to go into complete sensory overload. Concentrating on that arch kinde faded out the exit itself but made it much better.

This being said, I'm no expert and just off AFF status myself.

------- SIGNATURE BELOW -------
Complete newbie at skydiving, so be critical about what I say!!
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

You lose quite a bit of roll stability with your legs together instead of spread open.

Locked out straight not together. I never jumped with them together. Where did you get that?

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." Ben Franklin