maverick1

Jump nerves

I completed my AFF 2 months ago - no major problems with that (not being able to stop turns a couple of times and being nervous in the plane). The real problem now is that i haven't jumped for 2 month (due to illness, weather, work and nerves)

Now it has been so long since i last jumped, everytime i think of going to the dropzone i feel nervous and think of reasons why i should put it off until another time.

I really want to get back up in the air, but am finding it difficuilt to do it - one time when i went to the dropzone to do a consolidation jump i was hoping for wind (and as it turned out it was too windy to jump) - now that is a bad way to be in!

When i go back to the dropzone i do intend to do a coach jump - just for the reassurance of an instructor being with me the first time back.

Has anybody else had such a case of nerves? Can anybody offer me some advice to help me get back up?

You're definitely not the only one that's gone through that. There's three of us that just went through AFF this spring, and we ALL had the same feelings. None of us went quite that long between jumps, but until we had 15-20 jumps, we'd all get that feeling every time we went out. The great thing is that after the first jump of the day it goes away. The best advice I could give you is to just keep pushing yourself to get out there, and when the weather's good get a few jumps in. By the time you pass 20, you'll kick yourself for ever wishing for wind. =)

Yep,I can remember being that way.It goes away.Took me till about 60 jumps.The more current you stay the less it will affect you.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

The great thing is that after the first jump of the day it goes away.

Yep, me too. And on the lowered-anxiety jumps I have higher awareness and better performance.

A bit of lingering, well-managed jump anxiety is probably very healthy.

B|

Chad

good friends, blue skies, and sweet, sweet altitude...

Big Time.

I was still a newbie at 57 jumps 8 years ago when I stopped jumping.

I'm returning and will be starting again in a few weeks.

Its been a long time and I'm very nervous!

Not nervous enough to stop me though ;)

I'm also very excited!

There might actually be some folks out there that never experienced any serious nerves, but I'd bet that they are in the minority.

There might actually be some folks out there that never experienced any serious nerves, but I'd bet that they are in the minority.

I'm one of them and, to put it mildly, it sucks at times. It's not just skydiving, but also has been sports car racing, downhill skiing, etc.

In order for me to get really revved up now I need to be doing something different - and maybe for those who have anxiery, doing something familliar is the best way to alleviate the fear. My first jump was purely mind over matter ... as the Door opened for me (jumper #1 on s/l from a Cessna) it was "am I REALLY going to do this? ... YES,...I AM". Jump #2 the next weekend saw the plane ride as the major nerve-inducer (it was bumpy andthe Cessna is small). By about jump #5 it was "K, let's go this rocks".

Do a really REALLY good visualization session on the BEST jump experience you've had - skydiving is soooo a mental sport - Once that memory is burned into your mind then throw in a cutaway at the end to practise your emergency manouvers (build that muscle memory).

Happy returns !!

-Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

Yep,
Know the feeling well. After 4 AFF jumps I laid off almost 2 years. The day I went to a different dz for the refresher course, once I got in the plane and just smelled it, my stomach went crazy with the nerves. I went home and slept on it knowing that the next day I was going, period! When I got to the dz the next day I was much more mentally prepared. Twenty minute call, not enough time to sit and dwell. Just kept reminding my self that the fear stays in the plane once you leave. Violla! The best jump ever! Now three years back in and almost 1500 jtd, i still have a little healthy apprehension before leaving the plane the first jump of the day! It's what makes you more aware and saftey conscious. Remember, it's only air;).

Lots of people experience that nervousness. Sometimes due to a lack of currency. Sometimes if they had a close call of some kind. Sometimes just because.

It's very common and normal.

But ya know, you were brave enough to skydive before. You are brave enough again.

Might try this: Go and hang out at the DZ. don’t go to jump. Just go to hang out. Watch the canopies come in. Re-familiarize yourself with the sport and the people. See how it feels after a few hours...

Also: There's a book called "Mental Training for Skydiving and Life". By John Derosalia $15.00 at Amazon.com.

It has tons of info about controlling anxiety. How to recognize it. How to measure it, and techniques for controlling/ eliminating it.

It's an easy read. Informal, to the point, and non-pretentiously written.

Once you get in the air again, you might try "The Inner Game of Tennis". It's not so much about tennis as it is about how mental/ emotional aspects of sport affect intuitive learning. It talks about how internal dialogue effects anxiety and how anxiety effects learning and performance.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Robin
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophies.”

ZoneRat is absolutely right about "Mental Training for Skydiving and Life," DeRosalia, John J. You should get on Amazon.com and order the book today. No need for you to endure excess stress about jumping; this book will show you some great options about taking control of nervousness.

Blue skies!
"Birds make great sky-circles of their freedom.
How do they learn it?
They fall, and falling, they're given wings."
- RUMI

Hell, if I haven't jumped in a few weeks, the first one back always gives me slight jitters. The Plaids even had a guy several years ago who would get the dry heaves each morning, just before the first jump of the day. After that he was fine.

It happens to all. The comments on mental training are absolutely correct.

But you have to understand, mental illness is like cholesterol. There is the good kind and the bad. Without the good kind- less flavor to life. - Serge A. Storms