trigger

Making canopy training more accessible?

After reading"mostly:$" the 'Blacklist' thread something that cropped up 'alot'.
The need for canopy control training/courses i.e TRAINING IS THE KEY.

Question is!How can we make sure, we as skydivers,not just 'Newbies' either, recieve suitable canopy training in which to progress and base our future canopy selections on?
.CHOP WOOD COLLECT WATER.

I think the one thing that other experienced jumpers can do is set good examples. I have jumped smaller canopies but for lots of reasons I am not downsizing right now. I like getting a reaction out of lower jump jumpers that want to swoop so they are talking about rapidly downsizing. I can out fly a lot of the smaller canopies on the DZ and do more with my canopy then they can. Laying out a nice ground carve where I get a toe drag 45 or 90 degrees around usually gets a surprized reaction that a canopy at 1.4 and is a 136 can do that.

Another thing that needs to happen is experienced jumpers need to keep their eyes out for lower jump jumpers and talk to them about their landings/flight for as many jumps as possible. I've done this to one of the guys at my DZ and he's went from making erratic approaches at the start of the summer to very smooth 90 degree approaches and has learned how to control the canopy better then some people with 3x the experience he has.

Getting people that are fresh off student status aware of the finer points of canopy control is another despertly needed thing.

Canopy training does not have to be formal and paid for. There are lots of jumpers at most DZ's that are more then happy to evaluate landings and give pointers. If jumpers don't seek out feedback for themselves then how can they really expect people to force feedback to them?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Yeah me too!Also i like explainly the importance of 'Mastering'slow flight first and that 'Any' canopy can be 'swooped'if so desired[not everyone wants to swoop] and pointing people in the direction of canopy control courses etc.
.CHOP WOOD COLLECT WATER.