bluewaterstream

Level 2 ruled, sort of...

So, on Saturday I finally found the courage to jump Level 2. This was after an awesome Level 1 jump that I did 2 months ago. I wish I didn't wait so long. I had so much more fun this time, I was super relaxed throughout the entire jump and felt like I did just as good as I did in Level 1.

Anyway, on to my question. So, JM 1 weighed about 200 lbs (6'1")and JM 2 weighed about 100 lbs (5'2"). My body position, particularly my arch, was a little jacked on this jump. My legs were a bit unsymmetrical at times. Is it possible that the difference in weight and size with the JM's holding on to me may have contributed to my poor flight performance? My thought is that JM 1 was probably falling a bit faster than JM 2, which may have put my body on a slight angle and therefore may have made it more difficult to keep good body position. Just curious, I'm not trying to pass the blame here. I know that I'm a newbie and totally understand that I need to improve my technique regardless. I'm just surprised that on Level 1 my arch was great (note: JM's were about the same weight) and on Level 2 I didn't pass because of a poor arch.

I'm going back this weekend to kick Level 2's ass either way, but was wondering what you guys think about this situation. Is it a valid point or did I just have a crappy day! Probably just a crappy day! Oh well, it still was a sweet jump!!!

~ John

It's probably you, John. Keep in mind that by the end of level 3, and 4 on, there is only the primary JM on your right side. They're hanging on as lightly as possible. You still fall vertically as stably as your form allows.

Keep in mind that the standards for AFF1 are pretty simple - jump out, do a PRCP, pull, land. You're not expected to do great on the first 50 seconds of free fall experience. But the bar gets raised.

In any event, if you get passed on 2 with a "marginal" performance you probably will get zinged on 3 and 4 when they let go. Don't worry about it, try to do it sooner than 2 months, and move on. Maybe you'll not get hit with the L4 barrier like me currently.

The only thing that I can sugest to you is work on your arch on the ground some to remind yourself of the position before you go back, make sure your as relaxed as possible, and try not to wait so long in between jumps.

One of the key things that I found was that staying active and being at the DZ every weekend making jumps made me more comfortable, and helped me improve at a decent rate.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

On Saturday I went back to the DZ and tried my best to pass Level 2 again. Prior to this jump, I basically just kept visualizing the jump in my mind. I also spent one hour or so practicing my arch and exit.

One of the JM's that I jumped with last weekend was there again this weekend and he actually ended up taking this jump with me too. Seemed like a good idea to me, this way he could personally evaluate whether or not I really improved any from last week's bittersweet jump.

So, we ride the plane up to 12,500' and it's go time! I jump and have my most stable exit thus far, made a good left and right turn, and had a blast once again with forward motion. I cruised down from about 8000' to 6000' in forward motion and waved off and pulled at 5500'. The canopy was good, the wind was mellow, and I had a pretty good landing.

So, I passed and I'm moving on to Level 3 next Saturday!!!