escott0699

Separated Landing Areas

looking for some advice and best practice from others out there with separated landing areas for high performance and standard landings. What is the best choice for separation..should if you have the space completely distance the landing patterns of each of them or do slightly overlapping patterns that end up separating them for actual landing acceptable?...i personally favor complete separation but wanted to hear from both sides on this...

GLIDEANGLE

Since the collisions are far more likely to occur in the pattern than during the actual landing, overlapping patterns seems to defeat the purpose.

Agreed!
Have all the slow and medium-speed canopies (students, tandems and fun) fly their landing pattern on one side (e.g. right side) of the target.

Assign all the high-speed canopies to the opposite side (e.g. left side) of the target. If any high-speed canopies trespass on the "slow" pattern, they can sit on the ground for the rest of the day!

USPA published a lot on this subject five about eight(?) years ago. Go read some old issues of PARACHUTIST magazine.

Physical separation with no overlap. Right hand pattern for one, left hand pattern for the other. If prevailing winds don't allow that, then separate them even further so standard patterns from all directions don't overlap.

Often putting one on one side of the runway and the other on the other side can work.

I like SkyDive New England. I felt really safe in the pattern. A-C license holders on one patter in one direction, and D License holders have their own area along with tandems that run and opposite and well spaced approach. Its very nice, and I think having different levels of experience in different areas is a good idea when possible
You are not the contents of your wallet.