Phillbo

Landing short..

Thanks for taking the time to post that, it was pretty informative.

Still seems likes there's a lot of conflicting info out there (from very credible sources) that, unfortunately, makes it difficult for those of us who aren't involved in the process to make informed decisions.

It also sounds like from your description that there is no "one size fits all" because of various design impacts.

Thanks, I'm glad you found it informative. I realize you have gotten a lot of information from Scott Miller, and he is an abolute good source......better than me. I don't think there is as much conflicting information as just insufficient communication. Please feel free to share what I have posted with Scott and get his feedback on it. Scott presents info based on PD canopies and I agree with him, they do give the best glide in deep brakes. What I think did not get communicated is that even the Stiletto, for example, has a point where going to deeper brakes causes it to sink more and erode the glide ratio and yet deeper brakes results in a stall.

Yes, I don't think there is a "one size fits all" solution to getting the best glide. A glance at several aircraft manuals might verify that. Some may specify putting some degree of flaps and a best glide speed for best glide in a loss of power situation. Others don't, but just give a best glide airspeed. Think of the rear risers as serving the function of the elevator and the brakes as the flaps.

My intent is not to give information that conflicts with anything you have gotten from people like Scott, but to supplement or expand on it and perhaps even clarify.
alan

I'm sure I will feel that way at some point but S turn down low are still a bit spooky for me right now so I have a tendancy to want to avoid them while in the pattern right now.. Like I said, I'm sure that will change with experience.

Avoid them now and forever. It's okay when you are a student. You are pulling higher and are on a slower parachute. So the landing area / pattern is prettu much yours.

When you are "in the mix" , if you do a big phat "S" turn on final the guy coming in behind you is not going to appreciate that. Imagine a faster parachte coming in for final. He assumes you are on final. Then you bust our an "S" turn to make it that much closer to your mark. Not a good thing.

Sounds to me like you are doing great. Keep up the good work and don't over critisize yourself. There is plenty of time for that later ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!