ChileRelleno

Tips on interviews?

I've been invited to give a interview with Truckers News a national publication aimed at the professional truckdriver.
http://www.etrucker.com/default.asp?magid=2.
They periodically interview drivers with interesting or unusual hobbies and sports.
I'm looking for advice/input on giving interviews.
This is really exciting, I will talk skydiving to any whuffo that'll listen and have gotten others to do first jumps, now I have the chance to talk to thousands of my fellow drivers at once about this sportB|:o. So, any do's and don'ts would be appreciated to help best represent our sport.

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

I'd suggest printing, reviewing, and maybe providing the information at uspa.org here http://uspa.org/about/sport.htm
Includes Skydiving history, Who skydives?, Relative Safety, Skydiving equipment, How a parachute works, and Exhibition jumps.

Highlight the wide range of people who skydive, their (your) joy in participation in the sport, the level of safety built in to the sport but dependant mainly on individuals not equipment, (dual parachutes, training, AAD's,), the aspects of the sport (comp., fun, instruction, records, demos) and the disciplines (CRW, RW, FF, FS, Accuracy, Style, board, birdman). Disciplines will be hard to cover so probably stick to one or two. Describe you most challenging jump, your most fun jump, your most unusual jump (not near death). Stay away from "no shit" stories, blood and guts, base (not skydiving and often outlaw). Be candid about fear, risk (I usually say its as safe as the individual want it to be), adventure. And smile for the pictureB|.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

OMG, talk about driving me crazy. I thought I had posted to this thread, then relized you had the same question in Talk Back. I answered you there.

Again, good luck.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Don't ever allow yourself to feel rushed to answer a question. Whevever they ask something, take a moment to pause and clearly think out your response. Try and think through the implications and ramifications of what you're going to say.

I've done a few interviews, and even when the reporters are friends, its frequently the case that I don't recognize any of the thoughts they've paraphrased from me. It's not that they're speficically misquoting me, it's just that they hear a very different thing then I thought I was saying.

So, my advice - clearly think through every question, and make sure that your answer is thorough enough that it can not be taken out of context.

Even if you need to ponder for 10 seconds before answering, that's fine. The reporter does not want to misquote or misattribute a thought to you.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

On the downside... I've done and seen enough TV/newspaper/magazine stuff to come to the bitter realization that whatever you say and do, be prepared for them to butcher it and take things out of context. It doesn't always happen, but 90% of the time it does. Don't blame yourself for it.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

:)As for fear and risk taking,,,:o:o;) be sure to point out that it is NOTHING ...compared to what Drivers in YOUR profession deal with each day and night,,, out there on the Interstates,, where
" whuffo drivers" and other assorted "idiots" certainly do their best to contribute to a true "pucker factor".......by comparision,,, skydiving is a stroll in the park...:ph34r:B|;);)

Based on the many many sensible and accurate posts which you have contributed here,,over the years , i think you will be an excellent representative for our Sport!!!..

Thank you:$.

As for fear and risk taking,,, be sure to point out that it is NOTHING ...compared to what Drivers in YOUR profession deal with each day and night,,, out there on the Interstates,, where
" whuffo drivers" and other assorted "idiots" certainly do their best to contribute to a true "pucker factor".......by comparision,,, skydiving is a stroll in the park...
j t

A big 10-4 there my friend, I've often related that to others.
I get the crap scared out of me on almost a daily basis when doing my job, simply amazing what I see out there.:o:S>:(

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

One thing I find whuffos least understand is that there are disciplines that involve flying relative and that people can actually get together and dock. In conversations I have had, this has come up many times. People often don't understand that this level of control in the air is possible.
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

Make sure that you explain the oxygen osmosis process that allows us to breathe through our facial skin during freefall. Its been reported enough in the media, another source should make it fact!

In fact it might be fun to go to the thread on urban legends and use the funniest of these to humorize your interview. I'm sure you will do a great job.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History