Synapse

Thoughts of quitting...

A gentelmen with 2500 jumps was telling me that I should train for all circumstances, and that he has 11 intentional cutaways. When my reserve is ready for a repack get down to 1000' and chop. Make sure that I can do it. Train for the worst. To me that is not training for the worst, that is putting yourself in the worst

If he has a tursh reserve not a bad idea. If not then he is illegal, and I'd ground him.

I think you should have to have a cutaway for the "D". Real or intentional.

I only have about 90 jumps, but I know that one day I will have 9000.

So you know you are going to be one of the what 100 ever? How pray tell do you know this?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

To add to what Ron said, I'd like to ask why anyone would suggest you wait 'til 1,000 feet to chop, given that you are right on the edge of the Cypres-arming altitude range (assuming you turned it on, you might owe your rigger for a new knife for the Cypres)? This is one of those things where it is a theoretically possible situation, but the risks and potential costs of deliberately putting yourself in it probably aren't worth it.

I'd advise a pratice harness if you want to practice cutaways. If you want to do it in the air, I think that technically you are supposed to have one more canopy than you plan on jumping, so you need a backup reserve.

Just my thoughts.
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

Glad you're staying with the sport. I did give it up at the end of 1980, but have been back now for almost a year. A lot of it depends on how close or personal some of this stuff can get. I have never known of a fatal accident among my crowd that didn't cause somebody to quit. Somebody dies, somebody else quits. It happens. When I left the sport, it was going through a bad time, with too many deaths. In just two months, two friends went in and two more had reserve openings below 500 ft. I could probably admit that at the time, it got to me. And then some of the years I was out were due to having small children. I know lots of jumpers with small kids who are able to go on jumping, I didn't feel that way. We make our own choices about things like that.

Skydiving's just not for everyone, if anyone could do it, quite a few of us would quit and go looking for something else that was cooler. We know two things: jumping's not nearly as dangerous as the public thinks, but it's more dangerous than we might want to admit. But where else will you ever find anything half as beautiful ? The only other thing I can think of might be scuba diving, which a lot of my friends do, but they have their share of accidents and deaths too. You can always stay home watching TV and praying a meteor doesn't come through the roof. Or you can get out and feel alive.

At some point you might legitimately conclude that it's time to leave. It doesn't mean you won't be back.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !