JaRRoD

Questions For TM's

Hey :)
i was wondering if someone would be so kind as to answer a few questions for me re: Your Careers As TM's.

OK, I'm 19, from Sydney Australia, and have recently become very interested in the possibility of skydiving for a living.

But firstly I would love to know more about the lifestyle that you TM's lead.

ie. How many days a week you work ? (i can imagine this changes in Summer/Winter)... and if you're not working much in Winter, how do you earn Money ???

Till what age can you work as a TM ??? Say you can only work till your 45, what are your plans after that ?

Ball park figure, how much could i expect to make annually ???? (US$ - i can do the conversions).

How competitive is it for jobs ???

And finally what age did you start Jumping to get where you are now ???

if i think of anymore Q's, i'll post them.
Any responses would be appreciated !!!

Thanx heaps, JaRRoD :)

P.S. How did you break it to you're parents ???B|

Just being a TM won't make you very marketable for a DZ. Being a TM, AFF, SL/IAD, Senior Rigger will make you very marketable.

Being a TM is hard on your body, so how long you can do it depends on a lot of things.

Also, how much you can make doing all of that stuff depends on how much you're willing to work, how many things you can do for the DZ to make money and what DZ you're at.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Being a professional TM is not a career for most TM's; it is a really fun way to spend a couple of years. If you are 19 and have a rating I highly recommend it.
First of all, what AggieDave said. Start collecting ratings. There are perhaps a handfull of dropzones in the world that have TMs who do nothing else. I suspect that only the TMs on the top of the rotation are that busy. Guess what? That's not you if you are just starting. BTW the only ones I can think of are in the US. Do you have a green card? It is possible to work at some US DZs without one. The cherry jobs at the busier DZs, however, may be problematic.
If you are planning to work in the Sidney area I suspect there is a very pronounced seasonal variation in the amount of work available. Plan on migrating to the hot parts of the country for the winter. Another idea is to get a youth commonwealth work visa (or something like that) for Canada one year and for UK another. These are quite easy to get when you are young and plan in advance.
You asked how many days a week we work. Well I work in the Vancouver area so that depends on how many days a week it rains. Seriously, when you are the new guy you can expect to be scrounging as much work as you can at least until peak season. Then of course the DZO is scrounging for TMs (read: NO you may not have the day off! Am I paying you so much that you have to spend all your time at the bank?)
You asked how much we earn. This is of course a heavily guarded secret. In general terms though it can be categorized as NOT NEARLY ENOUGH. From what I have heard the pay ranges from $20 to $45 US per tandem. Very few TMs do more than 500 tandems a year (see above re:get more ratings)
The only people making real money on the DZ is the owner.
Have I scared you off yet. If not then sell all your stuff, buy a van and get on with it. As Craig Gerard said to me a long time ago. "There's no way I should still be skydiving for a living at my age, but DAMN but it's fun."

Being a skydiving instructor is great to get you through college. work weekends, flexable schedule, summers!!! but remember lets say your 45 and get an injury that you can't recover from. just like any athlete you need a fall back.

when college ends so do my ratings, becuase thats when my dream of one day 'paying' for skydives again comes true!!!! :P

when college ends so do my ratings, becuase thats when my dream of one day 'paying' for skydives again comes true!!!! :P

Hurry up and get through college then so there will be more tandems for me. How have you been Jeremy?
David

"Socrates wasn't killed because he had the answer.......he was killed because he asked the question."

it's a great way to earn a living,and not at all hard on the body.
i am 57 and do tandems 7 days a week,done over 6500 tandems now,and love every one of them.
where i work there are 3 tm's over 60,altough only one works everyday.
there are many tandem operations in australia,(esp qld),which means lots of jobs,but a reduction in earnings,lower numbersand restricted pay rates,so it is getting more difficult to make a good living,and nearly all places require handcam skills as well.unfortunately the tandem cameraman is slowly becoming extinct in oz.
your 45 year old comment made me laugh ,as i started skydiving at 43.
earnings can vary . i have made us$40000 one year,(not in oz) but last year only 26000 australian,and it aint getting any better.
but it's a great lifestyle as long as you don't want to earn big money.
the thought of a real job really scares me now .
i don't think the future is very bright for a new tm,but best of luck anyway.
des

thanx Des, i appreciate the advice..... I'm still really keen and money is not a major issue for me at the moment..... however a few years and a family might change my views on that.

have you done much skydiving in NZ ??? How does the market over there compare to Australia? (just out of interest)

JaRRoD B|

yeah,jumped in nz a bit.
the tandem scene in nz is very vibrant,specially at taupo and queenstown.,and thre are quiteafew aussis working over there.
they have a huge backpacker market,and are very professional in marketing and operations.
it would definitely be an option,and as you know australians don't need a visa to work there,