jejejelle

diving exits and hop&pop

I dont know what aircraft you are using, but Ive pulled while standing on the step and the chute always cleared the tail, yanking me right off the step.
By the way...Im not advocating anyone try it...

I heard someone had an accidental main deployment on the step of a 182 and the canopy did clear the tail, but the jumper did not. The horizontal stabilizer caught him in the neck, and he landed in two places.

So for me, I will stick with leaving the airplane before I initiate deployment. :P

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

You might better be able to help if the situation jejejelle is describing from the other thread is more fully described.

What happened was there was an aircraft emergency and the pilot ordered everyone off low. Because of the low altitude and loss of an engine the orientation of the plane was of a climbing pass.

10 people got out fine but one person did a poised student style exit and hit their head on the tail precipitating a cypres fire.

I think the full question jejejelle is asking is "What would be everyones reccomended exit pos for such a situation? Either for main or reserve?"

(sorry jejejelle if Im putting words in your mouth)

well , i figured diving out to be the fastest way to get out , and miss the tail. But i wasnt sure about opening that way :)
about the best way to get out.. eh well wasnt my original question but maybe we can give it a thought

I dont think there is a "one way" answer..... depends on skill... i mean diving out at 1500ft , go unstable , and have your cypres fire while unstable. doesnt seem to be a nice way to go.

I have some video of our last years AFF students doing their 8th jump - the hop&pop. Some are truly horrible but one - one guy exits in essntially a dive - head down an all, drops a leg slightly as he's reaching back to pull and in doing so puts a perfect 180 in on the hill so as he dumps he's arched into the relative wind, head high.

It looks sooo swish, a real nice manouver - of course it's all totally accidental.

We've watched it back on the club DVD so many times, seeing if we can replicate it as perfectly as he did - keep meaning to try it.

Wow! You can almost sense the bewilderment. He's just looking at the plane thinking - "how the hell did that get over there".

I am a newbie skydiver so my opinion doesn't count for a tremendous amount - but it strikes me as pretty damn lucky he didn't hit the tail of the plane there. Some more scary shit to add to my memory.

James