atsaubrey

Help me get off the ambilical cord

Did jump 12 yesterday thinking that would be the last one on the damn radio...figured once more and i'd have it down. Well it was my worst sense of awareness to date as far as landing i think....DAMN. I dont think i will ever get the damn flare timing down, couldnt tell 2 ft from 20 ft. Should i just shoot myself and forget about jumping.
"GOT LEAD?"

Okay let me pre-empt this w/ the fact that I only have 5 jumps and 4 of them were 6 years ago BUT ... When I jumped 6 years ago it was S/L and I had to come down on my own. I had the same problem w/ trying to estimate the distance from the ground. I was told (6 years ago) to watch the tree line. Most of the trees at that DZ were about 20 ft high. I don't know if that will help where you are jumping or even if it is still accurate but GOOD LUCK :)

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky..." - Jimi Hendrix

If your profile is correct, the chute you are jumping is the same as the one we train military jumpers with. (I'll reiterate what a few others have said)When I'm teaching my students, I tell them to look out in front of them (not right below), flare at 10 to 12 feet and make your flare approx the same speed as the ground coming up at you. If the winds are stronger this will bring a little slower flare. If you have no/low winds you wall flare a lot faster. This is a big chute designed to carry a jumper and equipment to the ground. At night, we tell them to go to 50% brakes keep feet and knees together and do a PLF. This is an option if you absolutely can't judge the distance to the ground. When in doubt always PLF.
MY 2Cents...

Hey now, don't get frustrated. It took me 13 jumps to get my first stand up, and probably 15 or 16 to get off radio. We all learn at our own pace. I was the same, fine under canopy, but it took time before i was comfortable flaring. It will come to you, just give it time.

Damn, that's a big canopy you use. Biggest I ever jumped, or put students out under was Manta 288. What I can tewll you is everyone has their own flare. It is all in how the equiptment matches the particular jumper. How old the canopy is, how fast/slow they flare, how the wing loading is, it all plays a part. Just keep trying. And there is no need to stand up most of your landings. USPA used to require one good PLF to graduate to an A, and I'm annoyed they changed that. See, here's how I see it. Keep landing with a PLF until you feel you can consistently land softly enough you think you can stand it up. Don't pressure yourself to stand up. Pressure yourself to do the right thing so that you can walk away from your landings, and jump again.

If you have instructors pressunting you to get off radio, they need to stop. You are the student. You are the one under that canopy, and you are the one who is a student landing. You are learning at your own pace. Don't take that for granted. You're jumping from a plane, and we all want you to be safe. And you are the best judge of how safe you are. If people do pressure you to do somthing you're not ready for, I really think you should bring that up, and tell them you are not ready yet, and ask they understand you're learning at your own pace.

There are ways to work on this. Perhaps have a target master out in the landing area for you to watch, and have them visualy tell you when to flare. It would be ideal if you have the same person do this for the handful (2-5) of jumps you'll need them for, so you have consistency. There is also the option of wearing the radio, and having the instructor ask if you want falre help. "Yes" can be indicated by kicking your heels together, "No" simply by keeping your feet and knees together, preparing to land yourself.

Ultimatly, yes, there comes a point where a student needs to learn to land themselves. But that point cannot be rushed. I think the target master would work well for you, especialy if it is someone who will be on top of the job. But do what you have to do, and don't let anyone push you farther than you are ready. You'll hit that point when you're confident in how you'll land.

Ultimatly you will be able to land yourself. It happend for me, it can happen for you. It takes time. Just keep your priority on landing safe, and being able to walk away. PLF until you feel the stand up landing naturaly about to happen.

Best of luck.