patairborne

When not to jump.

On Saturday December 20, 2003 I witnessed what I consider to be a jumper much to anxious to prove his machismo by jumping when he should not have. This particular jumper a week or two before, broke his finger so bad on a hybrid jump that it required pins to hold it together. His left forearm was completely wrapped in an ace bandage with a pseudo type cast extending to his hand. The only finger exposed was his thumb. He felt that he was okay to jump and became very defensive when asked why he needed to jump. I believe that this jumper is pretty heads up, but in an emergency situation what may have happened when it came time to pull handles? There is a time to jump and a time not to jump. In my opinion this was not the time to jump. The S&TA finally convinced him not to make a jump that day and to wait until he had a different cast on his hand. He was not very happy about it though. I'd like to hear what others think about this.

Any injury or "thing" such as a cast that interferes with your procedures or EP's is a grounder.

I broke a couple small bones just above my right wrist at a big way. After six jumps I sat down as it began to cause PC deployment problems. After x-rays confirming the break I had a splint put on to avoid the problems with a cast. I laid off two weeks then returned. I had the splint, a foam wrap, and gloves on, no problem with practice pulls on the ground however, after taking an AFF Cat C out I was unable to pull with the right hand only. I had to push with the left and pull with the right in order to deploy the main. Needless to say I sat down again for several weeks.

The point is, even when we think we are "good to go" we may be wrong. Listen to the experienced Instructors and your S&TA.

Blues,

J.E.
James 4:8

He should not jump. Airborne emergencies require dexterity and without full use of your hands you are putting yourself and others at risk. I spoke with said jumper after he decided not to jump. He was trying to convince me how he could operate his canopy and do control checks. I didn't ask him about high speed mals, but by then he had gotten the message. When in doubt, get the S&TA involved.B|

I agree with SDUCoach. I am not against grounding the jumper. He/She may be ok for "everyday" procedures, but when it comes to emergencies, this can't be good. You need everything you've got working for you to handle today's emergencies, a cast or similar is not appropriate.
Sometimes we are quite anxious to get in the air, and make bad decisions. If you cannot be talked out of it, grounding is the only option.
It sucks, I know... but death sucks more... for all of us!
Troy

I am now free to exercise my downward mobility.