kelel01

Impromptu lurkers on skydives

Thanks for all the feedback, guys! I honestly didn't know if I should care or not, but I think I definitely got a pretty strong concensus from the community! Now I know, and knowing is half the battle . . . now for the other half. ;)

Kelly

Donna: Maybe we can talk about this this weekend but I have to ask, how close is too close.

When we had Otter Load 1 a few months back I went out after the 10 way, a good 10 - 12 seconds behind and had not planned on even seeing them. However when I got stable there they were, well below and to the side. By well below I mean each person was about the size of the end of my little finger. Not having seen anything like that I just watched, staying to the side. When they broke off I too turned 180 to track away from them.

So was this a dangerous lurk or was I in a position to avoid danger to myself and them?

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

I do not see anything wrong with seeing the group exited before you unless there is a clear problem with horizontal separation due to short delay between groups. If both groups fly on bellies, 10 seconds delay gives you less than 2000 ft vertical separation. If you can stand on the ground and see the 10-way formation exiting the plane, why cannot you see the group just exited before you?

Shawn, this is more than likely ok, i would like to talk more about it some other time. As far as i am concerned, this is paying attention to your airspace. You noticed the group, watched, and avoided conflict. Good job :)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Worst I ever had was a guy wanted to lurk our multi pt 6-8 way. Ok stay slose but not to close.

The dude decides to make our jump a rodeo dive with me as the horse>:(>:(>:(.

Stupid, out of line, poor judgement etc. First time shame on him second time shame on me.>:(

It's rare but it's part of the bell curve.

R.I.P.

If you can stand on the ground and see the 10-way formation exiting the plane, why cannot you see the group just exited before you?

Only because of my lack of experience. I am just getting to the point where I cannot only see if some one is close to me but those farther away too. For the first time a few weeks ago I saw a free flyer who was out after me fall past me. Again great seperation so no risk, just the first :D time I ever saw it.

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes