rickjump1

LET 410 aircraft

BPS at Langar in the UK used a Let for many years but recently there were issues with getting it approved by the CAA every year. No one knew when it was going to turn up until it actually landed. Langar has a concrete runway but the plane was still limited I think to 17 jumpers.

Langars Let was very old (~22 years) and needed costly recertification (from the Ukraine I believe, rather than the CAA) each year after 20. We used to put 18 in it till they became more popular in the UK and someone checked the records and "discovered" that 18 would put it over the max landing weight and the limit was lowered to 16 (no 16 ways + vid then)

I believe that with 18 if we needed to land (weather) then a couple had to get out anyway, how true that is I'm not so sure.

There were 2 crew, not sure if both were pilots of a pilot and eng, I think both pilots. I know other lets in the uk had only 1 pilot though.

The let at peterlee actually only had 1 set of controls because it was an old reconnisanse/map making plane, hence the seethrough glass nose, and the "Mini-bar" with all the stuff that should normally be in the nose. Nice having a toilet in the back of a jump plane too :)

I think this let was supposed to fly with an engineer if he was there, as I am sure thats what they were doing at hinton when they had it.

It also went back to Hungary for servicing because in the UK it would cost loads and they dont have the let fixing experience, so actually not as good.

If you do jump this plane (HA-somethingFC) say hi to Jan the pilot from me :)

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.