Nightingale

230 - 210 difference...

I started AFF on a Square F111 240 ripcord with a wing loading 0.92:1 and halfway through my consols after my hop&pop and my throwout conversion I was given a 200 throwout by my instructor which meant a loading of 1.1:1, I actually found it easier to fly and land than the 240.

As for canopy control I would say to do some hop&pops from 5k or so and just play with the canopy see what it will do, practice flaring, turns (flat & spriol), find the stall point, using the risors, as long as you don't do any silly below your harddeck for chopping or near any one else or once you've started your landing pattern, you should be fine, plus it's lot of fun.

I have gotten to the point where I want to downsize. I currently jump a PD 7cell 253 and am on student status in Colorado (DZ is around 5500).

I know where the flare point is with the 253 and it is the only student container that comes close to fitting right (still is a little big) but I am tired of facing into the wind mid-field and still getting blown backwards (I grabbed front risers on my last two jumps but I think I only had the strength to make a difference on one of them). There is only one time that I really felt like I was flying the canopy on approach and winds were maybe 5mph.

Since I am still a student, the DZO strictly enforces wind limits so it isn't me pushing wind conditions but I do think that it is the wingloading. I am guessing (since I don't know the weight of the equipment) that I weigh between 140 and 145 geared. .57 to .6 WL.

Let me know if I am just being a stupid student or if I should downsize. DZO mentioned it in passing two weeks ago but I am not sure if I should push the issue.

I did my aff on a 230 also, at about .95:1 and then my coaching jumps on the 210 I am still jumping. The only real difference for me has been landings. I need a head wind to do a standup. The first time I flew the increased responsiveness surprised me.

Next trip to the DZ will be nothing but H&P to work on the landings.

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Let me know if I am just being a stupid student or if I should downsize. DZO mentioned it in passing two weeks ago but I am not sure if I should push the issue.

If your instructors are comfortable with you jumping something smaller, then yes, imho you should try jumping something smaller. Ask them about it before your next jump.

Your instructors see you landing that 253; they can give you far better advice on whether you should go smaller now or not than anyone here can.

It's hard to land in no wind; it takes quite a bit of practice to get right. Stick with it!

Let me know when you'll be out next time, and I'll try to meet you out there - I can video your landings for you, if nothing else. Also, talk to Doug or Lob at Elsinore and ask them how to do a flat turn; they'll be happy to go over it with you. ;)
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

Kris:

Knowing nothing about you or your skills, I'll pass on the following suggestions:

1) As mentioned by many others, even if you aren't ready to take a canopy control class, talk to an instructor there about the flat turning technique and any other canopy control issues you are working on. Make them watch your pattern, your approach, and your flare so they can provide some feedback.

2) You say "the 210"...is it the same 210? Particularly on rental gear, different mains of the same type and size may have significantly different flight characteristics due to line trim issues, longer steering lines, etc. Try to stick with the same rig wherever possible. Learning this lesson cost my wife a broken back a few years ago...

Good luck, and don't worry...it takes a while to get your landings dialed in, don't let it get you down!
Doctor I ain't gonna die,
Just write me an alibi! ---- Lemmy/Slash

I started AFF on a Square F111 240 ripcord with a wing loading 0.92:1 and halfway through my consols after my hop&pop and my throwout conversion I was given a 200 throwout by my instructor which meant a loading of 1.1:1, I actually found it easier to fly and land than the 240.

I second that. Jumped a PD 280 and a Drakkar(295 sq.feet) for my first 20 jumps. Since then I've have jumped a PD 260 and my landings got much softer, ie good stand up landings.
(my exit weight is about 260 lbs).

Now I've just ordered a Vector 3 with a Sabre 2 230 main and PD 193R. Yes and a Cypres 2.
It will be ready in the end of march, when we start jumping here again(I live at 70 degree north by the way).

Good luck.