willhill

tracking

How important is it on breakoff to track perpendicular to jump run? I've heard different opinions about this at my DZ. Some say you'd better always do it - others say it doesn't matter. On a 6+ formation not everyone can track 90 from jump run. It's also difficult on cloudy days. Basically, I try to do it when I can, but don't worry too much if I can't.
Any thoughts from experienced jumpers?

Is very important, simply because you could catch up with the people that exited first, you could find yourself opening or tracking in somebodys airspace.
Hope somebody will elaborate a better answer.
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

Is very important, simply because you could catch up with the people that exited first, you could find yourself opening or tracking in somebodys airspace.

If the exit seperation is correctly calculated this should not be a problem. However, calculating the correct seperation assumes that jumpers are not going to track further than neccessary and that in freefall they more or less fall down the tube.

When tracking it helps if you keep your eyes peeled for jumpers below you and, if all is clear, you do not pull higher than planned. This way if something has gone wrong with the exit seperation, at least you might avoid the worst.

People that say you should not track up/ down the jump run - in my opinion, at least half the people on the plane don't have a clue in which direction the jump run is :P Also, try not tracking up/down the jump run on a 25-way with no staged break off and seperation at 4000 ft:o
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

While doing a 6 way, when it's time to break off, turn 180 from center and track away.

Forget about airplane heading as it doesn't apply to that scenario. It's all about proper exit seperation. If there are groups out after your group, as soon as you open, turn and fly away from jump run.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

How important is it on breakoff to track perpendicular to jump run? I've heard different opinions about this at my DZ. Some say you'd better always do it - others say it doesn't matter. On a 6+ formation not everyone can track 90 from jump run. It's also difficult on cloudy days. Basically, I try to do it when I can, but don't worry too much if I can't.
Any thoughts from experienced jumpers?

If you left a proper amount of separation from the previous group, and the group behind you left a proper amount of separation from you, then the track will have been taken into account. You should turn to a heading 180 degrees from the center of the group and track like your life depends on it, because it does.

If you need some info on a proper amount of exit separation, take a look at www.iit.edu/~kallend/skydive/ and click on "Resources"

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I have (almost - need to convert feet to meters) translated John's Powerpoint slides into German just in case anyone wants to use them for a presentation in Germany. I'll be doing one soon at my DZ.

I could post them on my web site and if John wants he could add a link to the German version on his site.

Waddya think?
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

If I am doing a 2-way with a low-timer, I will make it a point to discuss this with them and to track 90 to the jump run. It is a small thing you can do to practice awareness. I agree though, that on bigger stuff you do the 180 and track. Exit separation is key here.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Like everyone has said, if exit order and seperation is correct then theres not much need to worry about track direction at break off. The main thing i find is to give myself as much time as possible to track so i can have a good look round and even barrel role in the track before i deploy.
Keep your eyes open for others!!

Blue skies:S

"swooper 24/7, 365!"
ME on Myspace
My Project playlist