sunseeker

Newbie considering WFFC

The WFFC is not at all like your typical weekend. With that many airplanes and that many canopies in the air, it can be an intimidating thing for the newer jumper.

Newer jumper? I went to the WFFC for my first time with 500 jumps and at times I found it a bit intimidating. I thought it was the coolest boogie ever and am not discouraging anyone to go. I think even a non-jumper could be entertained and have fun just hanging out there. But if you're jumping, it was certainly the most intense time I had jumping.

You need to hone in on all of your skills. Imagine being in the sky with 150 other canopies all at once on an airport with 3 different jump runs all going at the same time. I think to a newer jumper it is definitely possible to jump and land safely but I would talk to some people who know what's up.

I know at Rantoul I was opening much lower than I normally would just to clear my airspace on breakoff for the larger formations. Sometimes it took a good 7-10 second track which had me in the saddle at a range from 1,800 to 2,500 feet. Have fun but make sure you know what you are getting yourself into.
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

Right, and it is right here on dropzone.com in the Safety section under Boogie Safety. So is an article by Bill Von.

Also, since we are beginning to think about the WFFC, and since people will be discussing this, I will repost this, from the 2003 Welcome Book:

Important Safety Information For Skydivers at the WFFC

1. Aircraft loading and exit

The aircraft staff at the loading tents are an important source of information. They can provide you with the direction of the jump run, winds aloft information, the time between exits of groups on the same aircraft, and any information particular to the type of aircraft you will be jumping.

Loading and Exit Order:

Pay attention to the aircraft loader and approach the aircraft only from the direction indicated by the loader! Do not let your excitement or haste cause you to forget basic aircraft loading safety. (Propellers!) If there are any non-skydivers in the area who are not supervised, please watch out for them.

The direction of the upper winds may require that Tandems exit first, so please be flexible and cooperate with the Tandem Instructors if they have a request. Otherwise the exit order will probably be flat flying groups from larger to smaller, then fast fall rate groups from larger to smaller.

Exit:

Spotting is done by the aircraft staff and they are very good at it. Do not second-guess them! Exit lights or other obvious methods are provided to tell you when to exit, so do not delay. Go to the door, give the count, and leave. The aircraft staff and other groups of skydivers behind you are counting on your ability to do this.

Pay particular attention to the weight and balance issues with the aircraft. Do not place more jumpers to the rear of the aircraft than permitted. If you are in the later groups exiting, stay as far forward as possible.

2. Opening Altitude

At the Convention there will be multiple aircraft dropping loads of jumpers over the same areas at short intervals. In order to insure that jumpers from an earlier load have descended below the opening area for the later load, you must not open high!

You need to plan your deployment altitude so that you have a fully open canopy no higher than 3000 feet AGL, and you are expected to be familiar with the opening characteristics of the canopy you will jumping in order to do this.

If you are jumping a demo canopy, you should consult the supplier of the canopy for advice on its opening characteristics.

If you experience a premature deployment or other situation that places you above 3000 feet under canopy, you must either quickly descend below 3000 feet or fly your canopy away from the jump run in order to provide clear airspace for the later jumpers.

3. Landing:

Consider all possible landing areas at the Convention. (Refer to the Convention site map.) The "main" landing areas near Manifest and the load organizer tents are large, but can become congested at times, particularly during periods of high jump activity. There are numerous alternate landing areas to consider, so remember, "land safe, not close."

Hook Turns:

Hook turns (turns more than 90 degrees to landing) are permitted only in the swoop pond hook turn area!!! Hook turns are extremely dangerous at the Convention and must not be done where they are not
expected.

Wind Indicators:

There will be a large number of wind indicators at the Convention site, but they may not be the type that you are used to seeing. Many manufacturers have Windblades, and many skydivers have their own favorite wind socks and streamers. The normal airport wind socks are also present. Make sure to look for all of these indicators well in advance of landing.

Notice: Wind indicators near the aircraft loading areas will be temporarily affected by departing aircraft!

Landing pattern:

The left hand landing pattern has become the standard in skydiving with few exceptions. On most jumps you will be opening in an area that easily permits a left hand landing pattern, so please think ahead, plan your landing pattern, and try to fit into the pattern well with other jumpers. If you open in an area that does not allow a left hand pattern, then change your landing area!

Right-of-way:

Another safety standard on landing is to give the lower canopy the right of way, because you can see them but they cannot usually see you. If you have a small canopy and descend below another canopy not descending as quickly, you must be very careful because this will suddenly change which canopy has the right-of-way. You must also not do this in order to gain the right-of-way, nor to expect it.

No-Wind Conditions:

Light and variable wind conditions can present some dangerous landing conditions at the Convention because the wind indicators may be changing, even while a load is descending. This causes some jumpers to be confused about the landing direction and to land in different directions. The best bet is to fit into a pattern with the jumpers landing before you, even if this makes your landing slightly downwind. If the winds are variable they will surely be light, and a downwind landing at those wind speeds should not be cause for concern. Concentrate on the landing and run it out. If you have any doubts about the landing pattern or direction, please land in an alternate or very open landing area, and use extreme caution.

Right, and it is right here on dropzone.com in the Safety section under Boogie Safety. So is an article by Bill Von.

The current incarnation of my treatment on the subject follows.

-----------------------------------------------------

Flight Planning for Safety
by Winsor Naugler III

Preflight
· Familiarize yourself with aerial views of the DZ and surrounding area, if they are available. Note locations of obstacles and pick likely outs for bad spots in various directions
· Turn on your AAD, if so equipped. Make sure your hook knives are accessible.
· Find out who on the formation has audible or visible altimeters, AADs and RSLs; make sure they are all operational and properly initialized.
· Check your and your partners’ gear.
· Make sure you are in agreement on breakoff and opening procedures and altitudes.
· Face into the wind and see where the sun is. Its position should be the same when you are on final and there is no wind indicator available.

Exit
· Know what groups are around you, what they are doing and what delay is planned between groups (ask around before and after boarding). The Skydive Arizona policy of large to small slow-faller groups, followed by large to small fast-faller groups, followed by students, followed by tandems is the best all-around approach in the business.
· The more of a delay between groups you can arrange, the better. DO NOT assume that any reasonable delay is reason not to pay attention to other groups in the air - LOOK AROUND!

Freefall
· Dock gently, from the level of the formation. DO NOT swoop into a formation, but make the final approach smooth and deliberate.
· DO NOT EVER get above or below a formation. Inadvertent deployment can become fatal fast if people are above each other.
· If low, stay near and to the side of the formation until breakoff. Do NOT begin tracking before breakoff altitude, and DO NOT do anything to increase vertical separation..
· Track flat at a common level. DO NOT drop out of a formation vertically. If you have an inadvertent deployment when you are below the formation, the likelihood of someone getting killed is significant. The greatest likelihood of an inadvertent deployment is right after exposing the pilot chute pouch to direct air stream – like when dropping out of a formation in a stand-up.
· Track to a clear sector while watching the people on either side. While flat tracking, it is easy to split the difference between the people to either side by looking under your arms.

Canopy Flight
· Open at an appropriate altitude. Between two and three thousand feet is reasonable for a high traffic event; any higher opening (for CRW or whatever) should be arranged with the pilot.
· Do NOT spiral down through a high traffic area. If spiraling to lose altitude, get well off the wind line to stay clear of the spot for other groups, and LOOK AROUND. In a turn, the direction of most likely collision is at the leading edge of the canopy in the direction of the turn, and there is a blind spot where a collision may occur between jumpers whose canopies blocked their view of each other until right before the collision. I reiterate - SPIRALING IN HIGH TRAFFIC IS DANGEROUS!
· The safest flight path when opening above the landing area is to fly the canopy away from the landing area, perpendicular to jumprun, until far enough out to allow a long, shallow approach to the landing area (leave enough room for obstacle clearance).
· LOOK AROUND NEAR THE GROUND! Don’t fixate on your landing, but pay attention to who is in the area. Keep your head on a swivel, and periodically scan for potential traffic.
· Do not execute unplanned turns near the ground. If you are cut off on final, executing an avoidance turn must not be a possible response.

Landing
· The safest landing areas are the least popular ones with the most outs. Landing in congested areas or where ground traffic is allowed (e.g., the camping area) can be an invitation to disaster.
· If you must turn for traffic or obstacle avoidance while setting up to land, use a FLAT TURN. If you don’t know how to do so, find out from someone experienced in the maneuver and practice at altitude until you have the procedure wired.
· Keep your head on a swivel after touchdown. Even if you land under complete control, you might want to dodge someone who is swooping where they should not.

=>If landing out is inevitable, or if safely making it to a designated landing area is in doubt:
· Pick an open area in which to land by 1,000 feet (300 metres). Corn can be over 12’ (4m) tall (a cornfield is NOT like an unmown lawn), so landing between rows and preparing for a PLF will reduce the likelihood or extent of injury.
· Any changes of color on the ground probably have barbed wire along the boundary. Land parallel to any area changes.
· Locate any telephone poles or other wire supports by 500 feet (150 metres), and set up to avoid the wires that are sure to go between them.
· Identify the lay of the land by 500 feet (150 metres), and set up to land alongside any hills. Do NOT land uphill or downhill, REGARDLESS of what the wind is doing.
· If there is any doubt about the landing surface, or if you are sure to have excess speed on touchdown (like when stuck with a downwind landing) execute a PLF and roll out the landing. Keeping feet and knees together, and not using hands or elbows to break the fall can greatly help avoiding injury.

Just Go!!!

I was there at 16 with 70 jumps and had a blast. I took advantage of the LO's and got on some 12 ways and other really good dives. I really enjoyed the night life as well. I hit up my first wet T-Shirt contest there and I also the oldest pair of tits (Mama) imaginable.

So, just go and I know you will enjoy yourself.

Clint

· Dock gently, from the level of the formation. DO NOT swoop into a formation, but make the final approach smooth and deliberate.

Oh yeah, Winsor, and don't forget your slot! Find out exactly where you're supposed to be on the dive, right? :D:ph34r:

It helps if you can fly as well as Winsor, too!! When the entire dive built and he looked around at where he was supposed to be, he moved pretty quick!!

DJan