Kalrigan

Am I downsizing too fast?

Nataly

Irrespective of your skill level, always ask yourself "why do I want to downsize?" Seriously. Write it down, and be honest with your answers.

If you're mostly driven by looks, size of the container/rig or peer-pressure, these are NOT good reasons to downsize.

If you've found an amazing deal, this is not a good reason.

If you are thinking many, many jumps ahead, this is not a good reason.

This is your first rig. You are still learning. Why on earth would you get anything but something you are comfortable with *now*? Build your skills on that, and see about downsizing once you actually can fly the shit out of your first canopy. I still have the first canopy I bought, but only because I was lucky not to kill myself on the first 100 jumps I did with it. I learned to fly what I have because I was worried I'd die... I should simply have gotten a bigger canopy. If I had, I'm not even sure I would have downsized to what I currently have!!

Same with my bike... I have a little bike. Every time I ask myself whether I should go bigger, I remember what I use the bike for (commuting to work on little, traffic-jammed roads), and that a bigger bike would actually be more of a hassle in my case. The day I want to use it more on highways, then I will have a good reason for getting the bigger bike. At this stage, your canopy's purpose is to get you safely to the ground. Consider downsizing ONLY when you have mastered this, and you want to progress to something else, where a smaller canopy would be more suitable. Remember... If the canopy is fit-for-purpose, you will learn BETTER, and you are more likely to enjoy this sport for years to come. If it is NOT suitable, at best you can struggle to learn to fly, at worst you could die. Not trying to be over-dramatic, but it's a reality that should not be ignored.

My big canopy "bean bery bery good...to me".
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Kalrigan

I weigh 150-155 pounds, depending on the day. My exist weight is 170-175.

Your equipment very likely weighs more than you're estimating. It won't make a huge difference, but you might as well get it right.

20 pounds was always the rough estimate I was told to use for the equipment. I should weigh myself one day with all my stuff on just to be exactly sure.

My 105 main / 143 reserve rig weighs 19 pounds. My 245/253 setup is 29 pounds. I'd bet that most rigs weigh more than 20 pounds.

Answering your subject....If you ask THAT question, then YES>

Go and read the incident forum, you will find out why I am saying this.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.