steveparsons

Safety concerns

Hi,
My name is Steve and I'm concerned about some rumors I've heard about safety at a particular company in California. I have never skydived before but want to with my family this summer. Has anybody any input about this? Is there a place where I can check the safety records of different places?
Thank you

Is there a place where I can check the safety records of different places?

Every DZ will have injuries, the media will keep old and fixed incidents in the minds of whuffos forever. You'll find that there's folks on here from every DZ in CA and we haven't really heard anything about a DZ out there negatively.

With that said, let it be known that skydiving is NOT safe. It is a balance of calculated risk and the gear is more refined with more safety then it was 20 years ago; however, you are still screaming at the earth at 120mph and the earth does not move.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Hi Steve, welcome to our world.

"Is there a place where I can check the safety records of different places? "

Not really, the best thing to do would be to tell people where you actually live, and ask for recommendations from the good people on the forums.
"You'll find that there's folks on here from every DZ in CA and we haven't really heard anything about a DZ out there negatively. "

Thats about right, Skydivers can be fiercely loyal to their home DZs, gear selection, even political affiliations etc. That said, if you ask for recommendations along the lines of
"I'm from LA where is the best place to learn to skydive", you will get responses from real people who actually regularly jump at the dropzones in your area.
Hope you like it.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Steve,

I cannot really add anything to what these guys are saying. If you are in Southern California, I can tell you that all 4 larger DZ's in this area are quite nice and you will have a good time at any of them. Since they are all USPA dropzones, they voluntarily comply with certain safety requirements. They have great people, excellent equipment, nice aircraft, well trained instructors and some of the best scenery around.

One word of advice. Most dropzones have age limits on who can skydive and who cannot. Here in California that is usually 18, though some dz's will allow you to waiver for a child of at least 16, but most will not even allow that.

Enjoy your summer adventure.
FGF #6
Darcy

Hi Steve
I'd be interested to know what kind of "Rumors" you heard?? Talk is cheap, good skydiving costs BIG $$ and don't you forget it!! As the T-shirt from the SCR Scrambles of 1978 at Elsinore says,"Ya pays yer money an' ya takes yer chances!" So if you still want to skydive, come on. If ya are lookin' fer an E-Z way out, ya can find a gazillion. Look around! I've been around Parachutes and Airplanes most all my life and I've heard lots of great rumors!! Just add yours to the list and GO JUMP!!
PS I have the T-Shirt!!!!!!!!!!
PPS If you want to know what an SCR Scrambles is, go ask some crusty old fart skydiver at your local So. Cal. DZ.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out