neily

Student not progessing

:( I'm really struggling with my jumping. I've now been a student for 2 years and have 26 jumps. 10 round jumps then had to have a lay off due to an operation. I came back after 5 months and coverted to RAPS (static line progession) and every jump has been sucessful. basically I've always had positive reviews in my logbook.
My question is really aimed at instructors, as to what advice you would give a student who is really keen but due to work and family commitments can only make it to the DZ once every 4 weeks and weather dependant makes a jump or more.
I don't want to be the next super swooper or freefly god, just jump and enjoy the feeling.
If a student only turned up as said what advice would you give them?

I am not an instructor but my personal feeling is I would save up the money as best you can and try to jump more often. That being said, here in US, as long as you make a jump every 30 days you will progress and complete your program. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

I had that problem last fall - due to work, other commitments, and a lot of fog/wind issues, I was getting a jump in every 3 or 4 weeks. And I wasn't making it. So I stepped back until spring, went to Perris and did 30 minutes of tunnel and 4 jumps, then got stalled a month again (weather!) and then went 3 of 4 weekends to now, will make it 5 of 6 by which point I should be done or pretty close.

That said, if it's working alright for you, doesn't seem to be a reason to stop.

I don't want to be the next super swooper or freefly god, just jump and enjoy the feeling.

so where's the problem, keep doing that!

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

there is no time limit in getting qualified - as long as your having fun where is the problem.

I started juming with a friend and within 2 years I had around 300+ jumps and he was still on student status with 20+ jumps as he like you only came up occassionally - he eventually qualified, he is not bothered about progressing that much and just likes to make a bunch of jumps occasionally and enjoy the freefall.................. sometimes I think people forget about the joy of freefalling and focus on working to hard...............

just have fun with what you are doing.............

I would suggest to them that it might be better to focus 100% on family and work.

One needs to consider ones own sanity too. The thing that keeps me stable at home and work is being able to get to the DZ once a month.

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

I am not an instructor, just someone in a similar situation to yours.

Money is what keeps me from going more than once a month. When money gets straightened out it will be one day every other week because of family. Wife understands that this is what keeps me sane.

So the bigger issue is on those days you go how many jumps can you do. My budget has X dollars in it that get divided between going to altitude and doing hop & pops. I get three to five jumps when I go and that to me is what helps move me forward. Being able to go more often would clearly help more but getting several jumps when you go is the next best thing.

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Hey Neil, wondered where you were :)
The weather this saturday will be absolutely gorgeous. How do I know? 'cos I'm going to be on manifest! :P

We've often not had brilliant weather for student jumping lately, May and June were like that last year too. But it got much better late June / July / August so hopefully that will help.

I remember hearing someone advised that when it was a day for jumping to make the most of it. Get there first thing in the morning and don't leave till last thing at night - even if it looks like the weather isn't getting any better at teatime. And like some other people have said, save up so you can jump several times when you're up on a good day. I put money by every week for jumping. If I don't jump that weekend then I keep it for the next weekend. That way if I get a good day after a bunch of bad weather days I can do loads of jumps.

If you're getting good writeups on your jumps and the instructors aren't telling you you need to jump more often then I'd guess your currency isn't really a problem as it seems like you're achieving the things you want to...

Also, do you know about Student Progression Week in the first week of August again? If you can make it for some of that you can get a bunch of jumps in.

Besides that, put your name back up to jump as soon as you've been debriefed and I'll get you on a plane - promise!

See you at the weekend,

Sweep
----
Yay! I'm now a 200 jump wonder.... Still a know-it-all tho..

you can only do what you can. i was in a similar situation, spent most of a season getting through my pff. spent most of the next season getting to solo status. now i'm in my third full season, 68 jumps and still working on my A license. i will get it in the next month or so, and since i'm not travelling anywhere else i have no problem with it. i've resigned myself to the fact that i'll never be a great skydiver, and am concentrating on being a safe skydiver. i always have fun, so it works for me.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001