novacaine

Been out of the sport.Now what??

My personal experience.

In 1999, I graduated high school. I got a job at the DZ, and over the course of 3 months made 23 jumps (8 AFF + 15 solo).

Then I went to college for 4 years and quit jumping.

Literally the DAY after my graduation ceremony (and with job offer received so I was free to blow $$$ :)
I am not saying this is the right way to do it, but in my case it worked great. Pine actually handed me off to another one of my old instructors, and we spent an hour reviewing all the things I learned 4 years ago. He was impressed I remembered almost all of it and took me right up. Everything from the exit to deployment came back immediately, it was like riding a bike. My first few landings sucked, but they probably weren't too great before the 4 year layoff anyway.

So that's my story. 23 jumps followed by a 4 YEAR layoff and all I had to do was a level 7 recert. I was done before lunch and did 3 more solos that day. :)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

but not everyone is as good a skydiver as akarunaway, including me====================Hey. I'm not saying I'm a good skydiver altho I did learn from the BEST. And I have fucked up. Who hasn't? Trial and error. It's a risky sport and WE ALL take our chances. What I'm trying to say is a briefing on the ground to verify you know what you're doing and a coach level 7 jump should be suffcient for someone w/ over 200 jumps. It's getting expensive enough as it isB| Edit to add. I coulda had a D license years ago but I was to lazy to do the paperwork. So I guess I have to suffer now for being a procrastonater(sp?)
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Due to several factors, including money and long drives to the DZ, my student progression took over two years and 53 jumps. I performed well most of the time, but it wasn't unusual to go anywhere from three weeks to two months between DZ trips.

It was routine to simply pick up where I'd left off. I had my first reserve ride on my 14th jump (chest-mount unmodified round) while on 10-second delays, made another 10 later that day, and returned over a month later to do 15's & a 20. Six weeks later I made a few more dives. Etc., etc. There was no hand-wringing about my "currency", no return to static-line, etc. After graduation, I continued to average a steady 20-30 jumps a year for many years afterward.

Of course, I didn't try to get on a night 20-way with borrowed gear, but it is possible to take some time off without having to undergo intense retraining upon your return. Just a little common sense is required to perform safely.

Cheers,
Jon

I am in the same boat you are, I haven't jumped for about 14 months. The few jumps I have I did at Perris. I recently moved to GA and I haven't had time to find out what dz's I'm closest to or what they're requirements are for me becoming licensed, but if they tell me start all over then that's what I'll do. Sure it will be expensive but it's all in the interest of keeping us safe. Edited to add: Plus it's a great incentive to never take that long of a break from skydiving again;)

Just fot the record, my logbook shows the following:

2 year layoff with jumps in 1970 (303 jumps total)
2 year layoff with jumps in 1972 (356 jumps total)
6 year layoff with jumps in 1982 (436 jumps total)
10 year layoff with jumps in 1993 (437 jumps total)
9 year layoff with jumps in 2002 (444 jumps total)
Today (800 plus total jumps)

I never did any kind of formal recurrency until 2002 and at that time it was required. There were no problems staying stable or pulling on that AFF jump and I did not expect any.

I did one jump between 1982 and 1993 and returned in 93 without a check-out. The layoff's never affected my ability to jump safely, only my freefall and canopy technical skills. I wonder if anyone returning has had a different experience?

Ed