jaykay96

trying to decide which way to learn...

Hello:

having completed my first tandem i am trying to decide which method to become licensed. (forgive all spelling B|) I have been reading about the NO's envolved in low turns and am wondering on how to avoid. I also do not understand the box pattern and do not know how one would locate the DZ from so high up. I have also been reading about flat turns and wonder if someone could explain how this will avoid a low turn? I loved the sensation of flying and being above the clouds and want to make sure i don't do something stupid to turn me off.

Well, this is something you really shouldn't worry about quite yet. You have either atleast one more working tandem then a transition course or an AFF or SL/IAD course to sit through that will teach you what you need to know about your next skydive. You'll learn about flaring, how to turn and the essentials you need to complete your next skydive.

Feel free to ask your instructors about it during the course or during a break in the course or after the course. However, as of right now, there are a few more things you need to learn before an explaination really makes sense, so please relax and wait.:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

True.

You won't be going up with your own gear without knowing the answers to at least most of what you are worried about and the best people to ask are instructors in the flesh.

I learnt to jump doing static line purely because the cost of doing an Accelerated Freefall Course (AFF) was too much when combined with my flying training with light aircraft. Now being a Tandem Master / AFF instructor and with the above in mind I would certainly recommend AFF if possible.

If you really aren't that confident then do TAF but do not allow yourself to be "babied" too much as fear initially is part of skydiving!! What matters is how you overcome this and move on.

I hope you get to enjoy the sport as much as most of us here do!! BSBD! -Mark.

"A Scar is just a Tattoo with a story!!!"

talk to your coaches, flat turns while low can save
your life. This is a great place for getting great advice
but you still need to team this forum along with your
coaches for an informed decision. The majority of the
ppl in this forum are very informed via experence and are willing to share their knowledge, I have rec'd
some great advice here, then shared these words with my coaches and 99.9% these forums were correct. Your coach knows you and the way you fly.
Be smart, listen and be observant and you will be fine.

PS: this sport is not just fun but it will make you a
different person in everyday life.