bigfall

FRUSTRATED STUDENT!

I have just completed my 4th IAD jump and I missed
my pto for the second time. My instructor says
that my form out of the plan and motions are great
and that my canopy control is fantastic but I just
can't seem to get my hand on the practice throw
out . Any one here have any suggestions on some
sort of practice that I can do on the ground to get the hang of it. I did manage to nail my landing this
time and land on my feet. anyway I would appreciate
any help you can give me, because I am hooked.

Thanks bigfall
STEP OUT AND FEEL THE RUSH!!!! LATER
SKYBOMB

Firstly, do NOT accept any advice on DZ.com without talking to your instructor about it.

Practice practice practice practice. Practice in the shower, watching TV, when ever you can. Also, remain relaxed during your plane ride up, the climb out and the jump, being relaxed will help you accomplish your goals and the things you trained for.

Good luck!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Unfortunately, this is the problem with practice pulls. I'm guessing you're using a BOC pull. The pouch moves as soon as the bag comes out of the container. This causes the pouch to move around during your pull sequence.

Try practicing the pull sequence with gear that isn't packed. It may get you more familiar with how it'll feel during deployment. Also try visualization with practicing.

Good luck. Remember, it's probably not you, the BOC just makes practice pulls that much harder. The real pull is way easier.;)

I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

I have just completed my 4th IAD jump and I missed
my pto for the second time. My instructor says
that my form out of the plan and motions are great
and that my canopy control is fantastic but I just
can't seem to get my hand on the practice throw
out . Any one here have any suggestions on some
sort of practice that I can do on the ground to get the hang of it. I did manage to nail my landing this
time and land on my feet. anyway I would appreciate
any help you can give me, because I am hooked.

Thanks bigfall

Shit I hit the wrong button so I'll write it again (see we all make mistakes)

Listen to Aggiedave Practice Practice Practice The next time you are at the DZ ask to
borrow a rig an walk round the DZ doing wave offs an Practice pulls nobody is going to take the piss
we all went through it don't forget full arm stretch Youll do fine.

Gone fishing

Practice practice practice practice.

The real pull is way easier.;)

As someone with only a little more experience than you, I agree.

You have nothing to stress about in the long term...

I learned with the AFF training method - and I have found the real pull to be very easy even on jump 1. It is not something I worried about on my second jump. Someone asked me the other day how hard it was to pull... I told them, imagine closing your eyes while sitting. Now touch your feet. You know where they are. Even without a rig on my back, and with only a handful of jumps, I know where the hacky is - I can almost feel it back there while sitting here.

Just for a confidence booster - on my second solo post AFF jump I threw myself intentionally into a very unstable condition (but one I knew I could fix), closed my eyes and then touched all my handles in the order I would use them. My hands hit the center of each handle on first try. It made me feel good that the in-the-shower training and touching the handles at least 100+ times on the ground worked even while not stable in the air.

The point is - from someone who does not have 9999 jumps - don't be frustrated - just ask your instructors to help you - and practice it on your own. Soon, you won't even have to think about it.

Practice practice practice practice. Good luck!

yup, that's what did it for me. (just finished progression this year).

for those paper-pulls i would always gear up at least a load and a half before i had to. Then, i pulled and pulled and pulled before both of them. (i mean really, people were starting to laugh at me for practicing 50 times on the gound)

just remember: ground practice is free!

Practice practice practice practice. Practice in the shower, watching TV, when ever you can. Also, remain relaxed during your plane ride up, the climb out and the jump, being relaxed will help you accomplish your goals and the things you trained for.

Good luck!

Yep... Eventually you will be able to instinctly put your hand where the handle is even if you're not wearing a rig.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I can relate to what you are feeling. When I was a student, I was really bad. So much to the point that my JMs were going to draw straws to see which one was going to tell me to take up another sport. But, I didn't give up.

Don't be so hard on yourself, and relax. ( I know that's hard to do some times) Think about it, you are learning how to do some thing new, while you are falling at speeds you've never experienced before. It takes some time for some of us to be good;)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

when i was first learning i missed the throw out a couple of times when i was doing practice pulls(i went through the AFF program), the trick i was tought to help find it was to put my hand on my butt and follow it stright up to the hackey. practice on the creeper see how it works for you.

and make sure you talk to your instructor and ask if he/she has any tips or tricks that might work for you.

good luck
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower