Groundbound

Aerodynamics

Where is a good reference (text?) to learn about the basics of aerodynamics for both freefall and parachutes?

I had a few simple questions about turning in both regimes.

Not much in the SIM.
I did a search for aerodynamics, found some dead links and swooping stuff but thats not 'basic'.
I could wait and talk to instructors, but why can't we discuss it here?

Thanks

The basic principles of aerodynamics apply to all objects.

Here are few good books:

Aerodynamics for Engineers 4th Edition by John J. Bertin

Fundamentals of Aerodynamics -- by John D. Anderson

An Introduction to Theoretical and Computational Aerodynamics by Jack Moran

Illustrated Guide to Aerodynamics by Hubert C. Smith

Theoretical Aerodynamics by Louis Melveille Milne-Thomson
Memento Audere Semper

Pynter Publishing has put out several good books that touch on parachute design.

"The Parachute Manual", Volumes 1 and 2 (author Dan Poynter) is a practical tome aimed specifically at parachute technicians (i.e. riggers) with a bit of theory.

Poynter has also published "The Parachute Design Guide" an engineering handbook written by Theo Knacke.

I almost had him as a professor. A week before the semester started he got switched to teach another course. Did have him for a week of another class until I switched into another section. Actually that was pretty funny. He had just come out with the latest edition of that book, but the book store hadn't gotten it in yet, so he just handed out copies of the first few chapters of his draft. When the books finally arrived, one student asked him if he knew they were charging $110 for it. He was pretty surprised. :P

I wouldn't go spending $110 to learn about parachute aerodynamics from a book that I doubt even mentions parachutes though.

Dave

I wouldn't go spending $110 to learn about parachute aerodynamics from a book that I doubt even mentions parachutes though.

Dave

It doesn't mention parachutes. I am currently using this book for an aerodynamics class at UF. It is very mathimatically intense, and I would not recommend it for someone with little to no math background.
-Justin