Bolas

Attention Harness Turners!!!

If you use harness turns on your landings get your leg straps hooked together. Alot of freeflyers do this, but most others don't.
The reason for this is if you make a deep harness turn your leg strap can slide down the leg and when you straighten up for your final approach you may start turning again.
Your rigger can hook your leg straps together with a bungie or you can do it yourself with a pull up cord. Mirage has the strap system as an option, I don't know about other rigs.
The reason I bring this up is a friend this weekend was doing an aggressive harness turn on a sub-100 elliptical loaded about 1.6 and when straightened out for the swoop the legstrap had slid down so they did a 90 degree turn and bounced twice off the ground, fracturing the pelvis in 3 places.
Obviously if your not loading as high it's not as big as an issue, but the potential for an unintentional turn is there.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

but the potential for an unintentional turn is there.

yes it is, but I have yet to have a turn with my legstraps that I couldn't level out with toggles.

It's easy to be an armchair quarterback when I wasn't there but here's my guess:

If anything I'd bet your friend got distracted by the slipped leg strap and failed to fly the canopy given the situation.

Sorry but I don't buy the legstrap excuse for hooking in.

I do have the bungy but at a guess the way the canopy was flown appears to be the problem.

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

I have a 1.7 to 1 elliptical with around 500 jumps on it, and I've jumped canopies up to 2.1, and I haven't observed that sort of problem. The leg straps don't seem to move around much unless you are bringing your knee up to your chest. Perhaps a less-aggressive body turn would solve the problem as well.

The reason I bring this up is a friend this weekend was doing an aggressive harness turn on a sub-100 elliptical loaded about 1.6 and when straightened out for the swoop the legstrap had slid down so they did a 90 degree turn and bounced twice off the ground, fracturing the pelvis in 3 places.

It sounds like a pilot error - he got distracted by the turn and forgot to do what he could to correct the problem prior to meeting the ground. What is his experience level>? How long on this canopy? Has he been doing harness turns long?
In any event ~~~~~VIBES~~~~~~ to your friend.

Roy

They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

This person has 3000+ jumps but they had not had the canopy very long. Probably had less than 50 jumps on it in about a month. I don't know about how many harness turn approaches they did.
They completed the unintentional 90 but I think overcompensated a little and that was what caused the bounce.
BTW, love your AAD. ;)
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.