Punky_Monkey

I need some encouraging words...Please

Hmmm. Is there any skydiver out there who can honestly say they never ever had door fear? I lost mine relatively early on, around jump 5, but I can see how something going wrong can make it return.

I just wanted to add my 2c about some of the other posts - I found the opposite, namely, on my early jumps if i sat in the door or watched other people jump, it made me MORE scared. In fact, it's only the last 5 jumps or so that I've been happy to watch other people exit. So different things for different people. Best advice I got was always that thing about concentrating on visualising the exit a few mins before jump run, then deeeep breath...

and remember, after all, the door is just that irritating obstacle between you and the sky...
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Hey Punky

I have 350 jumps and guess what....I STILL have a certain amount of fear just before exit. It may not be the same type of fear, but it definately is there....

I jump in a 4-way team, and often am sitting by the door. I am usually resposible for the spot, and have to be the first one climbing out of the door and HOLD ON while the rest of the team climbs out...it scares me, because I don't want to let the team down....[:/]

SO, this is what I do, and it really helps me....

Before the jump I visualise the dive. Not just the skydive, the whole thing. In my mind I see the door open....feel the rush of cool air...I look down at the spot...signal standby to the pilot...I see myself climbing out...perfectly calm...total control...my feet KNOW where they must go....I see my team members climbing out....everyone is calm and in control....I see the exit count...we all leave together...the exit comes off perfectly....everyone is smiling...we move to the first point....grips are there...I pick them up...calm and controlled...I can see my team mates eyes...everyone is focussed and smiling....we move together like one machine...it's break off time...and we just had the skydive of our lives...!

THEN, I take a DEEP BREATH, give my team a high five and go do the jump!!! After a while, the skydives become more and more like the perfect one I visualise in the plane. And the exit doesn't scare me as much anymore....because in my mind I did it 1000 times correctly, and now I climb out like I've done it 1000 times before...

Hope this helps in some way! :S Go have a good jump! :D:D:D

Jacques