pseudonym

Jumping in S Korea ?!

hey all

Not sure exactly where this post should go (forum wise) so if I have put it here in error Mr Moderator feel free to move it (cause I know you're likely to need my permission on that one :P)

Here's my current deal for anyone who would be kind enough to interest themselves.

I am currently studying in Seoul (South) Korea and before I came over here (about 3 months ago) I did my first (and only) skydive (a tandem I won at the pub :D). Thing is, once I opened my eyes :$ and stopped swearing long enough to breathe I discovered it's a real buzz and I'd love to do more of it.

I had a chat at the time with the boys at the DZ I jumped with ([insert shameless plug]redcliffe city skydive[/insert shameless plug]) and mentioned that I'd be leaving for Korea and how might I go about getting qual'd while over here and their response was not overly encouraging.

Essentially their opinion was while an A licence is, for most intents and purposes an A licence (i.e. if I got it here it would not be too much hassle to get it recognised in Oz, providing I know what I am doing ;)) but that Korean safety standards have been questioned in the past.

I'm a mad keen rockclimber and I can speak from experience here when I say that climbing safety (anchors and such) are viewed ... 'differently' here :o (I mean this with all due respect to the fantastic climbers - and people - I have met here) but there is stuff here that would not happen in the Australian climbing community cause they're just plain dodgy.

I wonder then if anyone has any experience (not really all that interested in 'my mates friend was down the pub with a guy who had no teeth and he said' sort of conjecture) regarding jumping (particularly AFF style instruction) in Korea.

Getting impatient is all ... won't be home to do an AFF in Oz until jan next year ... :S

Sorry if this was too long ... I've just got nothing better to do today.

Thanks guys

Colin
Because it's there - Mallory

Hi Colin
The company I work for has a few projects in Korea so I spent most of this and last year in Korea, mostly in the Suncheon/Gwangyang area way down south. I have no experience about skydiving in Korea so far, but I did some investigating about it.
Here are a few links:
Korea Parachute Association
Korea Parachute School
Skydiving School
As with most korean websites, there's no english version (and Babelfish doesn't get you too far). But as far as I know, both schools are in the Seoul area.
Another way of getting some freefall skills in Korea might be the Tunnel.
Skyflying Korea
This is a mobile windtunnel built in Switzerland and sold to Korea last year. Currently not in operation, but the last thing I heard was that they plan to restart between June and July.
I hope this is of some help to you.
I'm in Switzerland right now, but probably back in Korea in a couple of weeks. I broke my arm in a landing accident last year but restarted skydiving two days ago, so if you get more information or even do your AFF in Korea, keep us posted.
Andy

No.1 reason NOT to be an astronaut: ...You can't drink beer at zero gravity...

I was stationed in Korea with the U.S. Army for a year. There is only one DZ in Korea. They rent their a helicopter for jumps, and consequently, prices are very high. It coust around 200,000 won to join the KSPA and about 100,000 won per jump (about $80). I never jumped there, but was told to that they only did about 5-6 loads per day, and to keep my head on a swivel because traffic pattern were pretty much non-exsistant.

CDR

I'm in the Army and just came back from Korea. As already stated, there is only one DZ that uses an MI-8 helicopter. They are open every other Sunday, weather permitting. That means that they get maybe 10-12 jump days a year. When I was there the membership for KPA was 100,000 won and jumps were 100,000 won. My recommendation is take vacation to Hawaii and jump there, If you're gonna make any significant number of jumps it'll be much cheaper and easier to coordinate than trying to jump in Korea. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's just not a good situation.

Blues,
Nathan
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

Andy thanks for the links mate ... guess I shoulda googled first huh ?? (but that would break my all time record run of laziness ... 21 years without achieving anything and counting :P)

My Korean is good (read: ok ;)) enough that I can make out some of what the pages say and it seems that there is in fact more than 1 drop zone here (not to disrespect anyones words to the contrary ... I appreciate the responses :)
Long and short though is I'm a student on student wages and the Australian dollar is falling faster than anyone here (compared to the won) and at the quotes prices I just can't se myself doing it while I am here.

still, at least I get a year to read up on stuff :(

thanks again guys

Colin

No worries, mate.
Just out of curiosity: what is an aussie guy studying in korea? So far, the only "longnoses" i've met in Korea were either english teachers, engineers or sailors... But then again, I didn't spend too much time in Seoul yet, it might be different there...

No.1 reason NOT to be an astronaut: ...You can't drink beer at zero gravity...

I know the web page indicates that there is more than one DZ, but there really is not. I was in contact with KPA when I was there. There is only one DZ. Good luck though.

Blues,
Nathan
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

Nathan: yeah mate I've been doing a bit more research and most of the Dropzones listed are in fact parachute clubs with no place to jump ... guess they must just all use the same dropzone whenever it's running (just like you've said) ... yeah the decision is definately made, there will be no AFF until I get home.

Tunnelfly: hahaha 'longnoses' I like it, I've never felt as foreign as I do here, it's great :P. My reason for adding to the clutter here in Seoul is to study Korean language as part of a dual Law/Asian and international relations degree. Lord knows why but they decided to give me a free room if I came over, and I just couldn't say no :D.

Stay safe all and I'll see yas all in the sky in about 6 months ;)

Colin