johnnyoneeye

What is the standard bargaining etiquette for buying a used rig?

IMO I wouldn't agree on a price till the rigger sees it.

Most times the way I've worked it out, is that the rig is shipped to a rigger I trust. The person shipping the rig tends to trust a rigger they know they can track down.

I have the rigger look at the rig, and tell him/her the price the seller is asking and ask the rigger if he/she thinks it's fair.

I put a jump on the rig/canopy and see what I think.

Then I contact the seller and then we talk about price.

BTW, I only put one jump on the rig, and sign a contract saying I am responsible for any damage.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I guess every time I have purchased something from a private party, I know exactly what I want and the only thing in question is if it is in as good of shape as the seller is saying it is. If it come to me with what appears is alot more jumps then stated I return it since it is not what was agreed upon.
Kirk
So far every item I have purchase has come out great, which would include three mains, one reserve, pro trak, 5 frappe hats, 2 video camera helmets.

Thanks, I tend to agree with you that I should wait to discuss the price until after a rigger has taken a look at the thing. I guess the only downfall to that is there is a larger chance you will have to eat the cost of shipping two ways if the seller is not willing to negotiate and I am not happy with the price. However, I think this is just part of the process of finding a rig I will be happy with.

John

I personally like to work out a price first, with the assumption that everything is in the condition stated. If it is not, then you can return the item or try to bargain. I wouldn't appreciate if you wasted my time having me ship somthing out then when your rigger says i'm asking too much try to bargain with me. I would tell you to send it back to me and i'd be pissed that I wasted money shipping it to you! Now, if it were the condition of the item that were a problem, and it was not as described, that would be a different story.

Not everyone is looking to bargain, especially if the item is as stated it would be, you should work that out in advance. If you don't know if the price is fair from the description, ask someone you trust before you have it shipped! For the rig you are talking about, i'd bargain now, then if there are problems with it when you get it, rebargain then.

Angela.

I would have to disagree here.

Figure out all of the details BEFORE you ship the rig.

Price, fit, condition. If you are unsure what to ask or if it will fit seek the help of a professional or you can PM me. ;)

Returning gear sucks. Believe me. It's expensive and time consuming.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

I have been a seller recently, and it strikes me as crazy to suggest that a buyer and I could agree on a price before the buyer gets to inspect the gear. I shipped it to the buyer's rigger. The buyer and rigger inspected it, and then the haggling started. At one point during the negotiations I said soemthing like "If you won't pay me $XXX for it please ship it back tomorrow." In the arrangements was that the potential buyer paid for return shipping/insurance if he didn't buy.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I agree with Gravity Girl on this one. . .also, I would insist on a deposit being left for the rig, either with me or my rigger - to be returned if the rig is returned in the condition it was shipped out in. If you do not know what it is you are purchasing, ask someone who does. The seller should be able to give you a detailed description such as harness sizing, container sizing, sizes of canopies that work well in the container - maybe a canopy inspection report if they have had an inspection done, etc. You can make quite an informed decision just based on the information that will be available to you IN WRITING from the rigger who works on the rig.
FGF #6
Darcy