Hazarrd

Taking seatbelts off after takeoff

Jumping from 1000 ft... hmm simple I trust my reserve a LOT more than I do a hunk of metal that is not flying right.. Jumping from 500 ft... still better to get inflattion and fast landing than a very abrupt stop in a piece of metal that is collapsing around you.

In the olden days we didn't use seatblets and the drill was to stay with the plane if you were below 400 ft. Nowadays everybody has to wear seatbelts to a grand. Probably the better idea. Would I leave a plane at 1000 ft ? You bet, especially with a square reserve. As a relative worker, I'm usually back near the door anyway on most flights.

Ultimately, I'd rather bounce than burn. Consider that in World War I, when pilots weren't allowed to wear parachutes, many carried pistols to shoot themselves rather than burn. And more than a few of them did.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

It sounds to me like he was trying to remain VFR. If you can remain clear of clouds, you're VFR. Required separation depends on type of flying and can be as little as zero feet in special VFR. (Of course, you need better separation than that to jump safely.)

In the US it's more than that for jump operations. Same as Class E minimums - see 105.17.

Bob

It sounds to me like he was trying to remain VFR. If you can remain clear of clouds, you're VFR. Required separation depends on type of flying and can be as little as zero feet in special VFR. (Of course, you need better separation than that to jump safely.)

In the US it's more than that for jump operations. Same as Class E minimums - see 105.17.

Bob

You are right Bob, plus you can't get a special VFR to take off from an un-controlled Airport. And I doubt they would allow jump operations to be flown under a special.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

>>>If a private pilot allows himself to get in the described situation he is not flying safely.
>>Different thread.
>Looks like the same thread to me.

There's a separate thread on whether private pilots (as opposed to commercial pilots) can fly jumpers or not. The answer is usually no.

That is not the thread I was responding to. If you remember we were discussing a private pilot diving a C-180 nose down to avoid clouds and if in fact this type of flying was the jumpers responsibility. And according to the post he was also lost. See my statement above, "not flying safely". If you read the post in question and still contend he may have been legal or safe, your viewof safety is different than most.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals