donovan

downsizing

Just curious,

i wanna downsize and just wanted some advice from a more experienced jumper, i am currently flying a stiletto 135 and have it loaded at about 1.25 am only bout 70-75 kg and have done about 100 jumps on it, have been comin in front risers. have done about 250 jumps all up. Was thinkin bout a crossfire 119, just need some advice.

Thanks mate.

From a Stiletto 135, I would recommend a higher performing main as a next step. Put another hundred jumps or so on the Stiletto, then consider something like a Nitro 135. You'll get more performance without upping your risk too much. Or go to a Pilot/Safire/Sabre2 (all similar canopies) a size down. As always, make sure you can flat turn, flare turn, land with rear risers, land crosswind etc before you change canopy sizes.

Why do you want to downsize? What is it about your current canopy that you don't like? What do you think a smaller canopy will do/allow you to do that your current canopy does not?

Not trying to tell you that you shouldn't downsize, I'm just curious about your reasons for wanting to.

>is there any difference in performance between a stiletto and a crossfire?

Yes! The stiletto has a remarkably short recovery arc, and is considerably less tolerant of body position problems on opening. It tends to spin up more easily, and it has a flatter glide. There is also a big difference between the Crossfire 1 and Crossfire 2. I have a Crossfire 1 for a while and didn't like it much, but the few jumps I put on a Crossfire 2 were significantly better.

Last year I "downsized" to a Triathalon 220, and am very pleased with it. This main does everything I need, such as open comfortably (almost every time :S), float in the sky so I can enjoy the view while waiting for everyone else to land, and land softly. I can sink it into a tight spot if necessary, and it won't kill me if I misjudge an approach or drop a toggle on the flare. Of course, it would put Ian, Shannon, and the other super swoopers to sleep, but is this really a bad thing?

(Old man: "Why, I remember back in the days when water was considered an obstacle." ;))

Cheers,
Jon S.