gruder18

AFF Level 1 Experience

This is my second post.

After doing a tandem in late August, I finally took AFF 1 at Elsinore this past Sunday, the 30th. What an experience!

The class was packed full of information. I've read the SIM manual, so a lot of it was already familiar. No doubt, though, about the importance of it all.

After arriving at 8am, possible being one of the first ones there, I had the honor to be the last skydiver (with my jumpmasters) of the day on the sunset jump.

According to my jumpmasters, I did fairly well for a first jump. I read this to be bad in the normal way. It's like kindergarten where you can never fail. Anyway, I need to work on my arch. Does anyone have exercises or out-of-sky techniques to practice this?

I think I did well in piloting the canopy, but I have a hard time trying to stay in this imaginary holding area. I need to ask next time on how to do this. Does the holding area extend like a cylinder, where the higher you are, the bigger it is?

I'm hoping as I progress through AFF that skydiving doesn't become academic to the point it takes out the fun. Other than that, I'll be back in 2 or 3 weeks. I'm considering some tunnel time.

According to my jumpmasters, I did fairly well for a first jump. I read this to be bad in the normal way. It's like kindergarten where you can never fail. Anyway, I need to work on my arch. Does anyone have exercises or out-of-sky techniques to practice this?

If you deploy your chute and land, you pass AFF-1 for the most part. That's no small feat.

Best arch drills I recall were:
1) lay on the ground in front of your couch with your feet just on the edge, pointing towards the back of the couch. Lift the front of your body up.
2) Legs apart about a foot from the wall, push foward with the hips and fall into the wall.

Other than that, I'll be back in 2 or 3 weeks. I'm considering some tunnel time.

2 weeks would be better than 3. You retain more, and if there's bad weather on the 3rd you don't have the pressure of jumping the next weekend or falling out of currency.

Doesn't Elsinore encourage a short tunnel session before the release jump? Definitely valuable - first time they let go I felt remarkably 'light' in the air.

I did tunnel time between level 3 and 4.. it was the best thing I ever did..
Just do what they tell you to do unless you think its unsafe.. then ask someone else what they think..
ask ask ask.. the questions that are stupid are the ones you didnt ask..

Reg,

You did good, just as we discussed. The tunnel time can only help and we will get video of your session. Call the office and schedule 15 minutes with me. Plan on doing the tunnel first then, weather permitting we will do your level 2. B|

Shark out.