killa_k

iPod's in Skydiving

All the people that say it is a bad idea, do you all drive your cars down the freeway with the stereo on?? i bet you do, I do..

I drive while listening to my car stereo.

If I drive in California with headphones or ear phones on, it is a two point moving violation IIRC.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

I don't have a skydiving license yet, just a student, but I think jumping with an iPod would be awesome. If you designated a playlist, you wouldn't have to fuss around with it so you could just focus on the task at hand, which is, obviously, deploying the chute and making it down safely.

I just think it would be great, not saying I would do it without a good number of jumps under my belt. But I see it really heightening the experience.

Worst case scenarios:

You'll fuck your hearing because you'll need it that loud.

this is a good point, and obviously those of us that have damaged hearing will tell you this sucks. My shit rings at night, and its annoying.

You'll cause a canopy collision because you didn't hear the warning shouts.

An intresting point- but not entirely valid situation depending.. IF you have a full face helmet, without a liftable visor, you cannot hear anything. The situation doesnt change. I have been on some HAHOs.. and when im within feet of my partneer yelling hasnt helped. Just an observation. On top of it, the yells out of a fullface or pathatic at best. In skydiving we are limited to non verbail communication. This has always bothered me about my full face.

You'll do something else wrong because you're concentrating on it/fiddling with buttons when you should by concentrating on not dieing.

This is also intresting.. we fiddle with stuff all the time. Especially when it gets to loosing chest straps, shifting around in the harness, and stowing a slider. The point is there, and I under stand it.. but fiddling (at the correct altitude) is a normal thing.

If it has a hard drive it won't work at altitude and you run the risk of killing it permanently just by turning it on at altitude.

This gent has a good point here. An iPod in freefall would get destroyed by opening shock too.

Course it'd probably work out just fine most of the time... I don't like counting on "probably" my self but each to their own.

Again, excellent point.

What about the thing on the full face though. How do we hear with that on? I for one dont hear wind changes (such as double front speed increase) with my helmet on.

Im not critizing your "worst case" model, but i am intresting in exploring it more.