Phillbo

You want to talk wing loading ?

Lets talk wimpy wing loading ;)

Low jumper here. I have about 15 jumps on a rental Nav 220 and no problems. I have not wrung it out completely (geee no kiding in 15 jumps ) but have done very well with a lot of the stuff on the "list" that everyone refers to when downsizing is discussed. I'm not good but I'm safe. I have opened high quite a bit just to work on canopy skills because I consider the freefall to be the safe part and the landing to be the risky part of this sport.

I expect my new canopy to be delivered this month and I'm just looking for some info on what to expect when I transition to it. I'll be stepping down to a 170 Stilletto ;);) Kidding .. I bought a Sihlouette 210.

It's not much of a downsie and I expect to enjoy it for a few hundred jumps. I'll load it about 1.23:1 depending on the previous nights Black and Tan intake.

Good choice ? I think so B|

Opinions, Concerns ......

Is your exit weight really 260 lbs? What reserve are you using?

Silhouettes are good canopies to learn on. Easy to pack (partly F111) nice openings and moderate performance. I use one for my wingsuit rig (a Sil 150) and it works really well. Beware the usual - turns will be considerably faster, stalls are a bigger deal, and you have to know how to manuever it near the ground (flat and flare turns.) 1.2 is a little high for your first canopy, but as long as you put the time in on the Navigator 220, you shouldn't have too much trouble.

If you weigh 220, it's unlikely that your rig will be over 30 pounds. That's a 250lb exit weight, for a loading of 1.19, just under the limit for that canopy. Like I said before, that can work as long as you put the time in under the Navigator (which you are loading at around 1.14.) At those loadings it will begin to behave like a HP canopy i.e. you'll need to plane out to get a good landing, and you will be able to learn flat turns, flare turns, front riser approaches, crosswind landings etc. Once you have them down on the Navigator, you'll be well equipped to move on.