bazelos

RSL and reserve pull

Well I keep on doing the drill in my mind as well as practicing it when I am in bed (I found myself doing it on the street ones and I got some confused looks....). I will deffenately talk to my instructor when I get there, I keep on coming with so many questions!
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

How long will it have been since your first jump course when you do your first jump? Waiting too long and practicing a lot on your own can be a bad idea... you might pick up bad habits that you don't even notice. If it's been a while, I'm sure your instructors will review all the most important points again before your jump, but it might be harder to break a bad habit than it was to learn it the right way. You'll do what you practice... so if you're practicing a lot on your own, it might be one more reason to sit in on another first jump course just to be sure you're still practicing everything exactly how you were taught.

Dave

Please go thourgh the FJC again.

Also...Please don't second guess your instuctors about what they tell you.

Finally, there is a ton of information on here...some of it is CRAP. You don't have filters yet to be able to tell crap from good advice. Some of the people GIVING advice don't know they are giving you crap.

Case in point..."That's what we did but I'v read about pulling the reserve with both hands..."

Please, talk to your instructor. Don't go thinking about changing things.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

i have been told when you go to emergency procedures its always the same. look and locate, punch right, punch left, arch.

Mine is
i have been told when you go to emergency procedures its always the same. look and locate, peal right punch right, punch left, arch.

"be honest with yourself. Why do I want to go smaller? It is not going to make my penis longer." ~Brian Germain, on downsizing

There are many different emergency procedures that are all perfectly valid. Different DZs teach different ones, but they will all respect what you have been taught if it is different from their own.

I dont think this is the place to mention different EP as it may confuse people.

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

What I was taught is upon exit, arch thousand, two thousand three thousand four thousand, check canopy, if malfunction, look, locate, peel, cutaway, reserve, arch, I just really need to go there and have my jump and the second and third one and get to know the sport, how can I relate to any information with 0 jumps?
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

I dont think this is the place to mention different EP as it may confuse people.

Sorry I didn't mean to cause any confusion just I have never heard of a cutaway being thought without first pealing the velcro.

On my second mal, I for some reason, forgot this step.
This made for a very hard cutaway. I use one hand on each handle in my ep. On my second attempt to cutaway I punched as hard as I could, in doing this my left hand must have moved as well causing my reserve handle to become dislodged.
Luckily the reserve didn't pop and I kept the handle in my hand ( no rsl or aad at at he time).
since then I feel "peel" is a very important step in MY eps.

"be honest with yourself. Why do I want to go smaller? It is not going to make my penis longer." ~Brian Germain, on downsizing

I retract my earlier statement.

It seems sensible that you shouldn't be learning EP's off the internet. Right? After all, what if I (being the asshole I am) tell you that the real emergency procedure is to tap your heels together three times and say:
"theres no place like home"

and "poof" you magically appear in the DZ bar with a cold one sitting in front of you...

:o

They will train you what to do. Just do what they (instructors) say, exactly how they say to do it. Practice over and over again until you can feel your handles in your sleep.

:P