firstime

health insurance in NY

I just recently found out that insurers (health) are
permitted to exclude extreme sports from their plans.
I have been out of the Ins biz for about 6 months now
and prior 2006 insurers were not allowed to make such
exclusions in NY. Anyone like to chime in on this, please

Anyone like to chime in on this, please

Interesting topic, and somewhat skydiving related, but I think you may be posting in the wrong forum. My suggestion is to think ahead to November 7, 2006, and perhaps contact your congressman and senators at some point before that date to see how they feel about the issue.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

I actually encountered the same thing in Alabama and Louisiana. For the most part, I have found out that if you work for a large corporation and get health insurance through them, you are more than likely covered. Even if you get the life insurance through them, you will probably be covered. If you question this, call your HR rep and have them send you a list of restrictions for both health and life policies. On the other hand, if you are self-employed and are seeking an individual policy, one of the questions (both from Blue Cross Blue Shield and Humana companies) will be if you participate in any aeronautical sport, which they spell out to include piloting a private aircraft, skydiving, hang gliding, paragliding and a few other examples. If you answer "yes," they will more than likely deny you. Some private life insurance policies also exclude aeronautical sport participation and in one case that I came across, denies coverage if you pass away due to a commercial plane accident. I have yet to find a private health insurance policy that will cover my husband or me for a price that we could afford. It's sad. But this is one of the reasons that we owe a quarter of a million dollars in medical bills when William had his accident - we were uninsurable because we were self-employed and couldn't get coverage. Good luck in finding a company. If you do - post it here. I think there are a lot of American jumpers that go uninsured due to the issues you and I have listed, and would love to be covered.
PMS#28, Pelogrande Rodriguez#1074
My Pink M