Mostly_Harmless

Canopy Stall: Need some Pro advice

So I was just able to put a few jumps on my canopy, a Safire the other day. After reading the owners manual I found out that burying the toggles will cause the canopy to stall and possible collapse to which mine does when you bury them. My old canopy a Sabre 1 didn't do that when the toggles were pulled all the way down. So my question is this: When landing do I bring the toggles just to the point of the stall? If I bury the toggles I risk the chance of falling out of the sky when landing correct? I also heard the Safire 1 has a two stage flair, is this correct? Any advice would be helpful, thanks.

Head to the Ranch and talk to Sonic. You'll be best served getting canopy coaching and Sonic is one of the best in that area and its a really resaonable rate too.

All ZP canopies have multistage flares. You can'nt just go to position 1 then 2 and hope to land softly, you need to be adaptable and move the toggles at different rates of speed depending on the situation you are in at any given point. For example if you start too hard and it levels you off or even pops you up then you need to react differently then if you flare too slow and are not getting a rapid reaction.

Aren't you glad you are learning about how a canopy stalls with a less agressive canopy then that Stiletto? ;)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

As always talk to your instructors 1qst.
But you should be practicing stalling up high so you know where the stall point is. You do not want to stall it on landing.
As for a twosatge flare there are differing schools of thought on it. It would be better to speak to an experianced CP at your DZ, it is mucho easier to demonstrate than to type.
But basically you flare until yo plane out, then when you sink somemore you flare a little more.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Lol @ daisy, hope you guys are enjoying your new house.

Well my season hasn't offically started yet, and I was only able to put 3 jumps the canopy this past saturday. I was playing around with toggles but didn't quit understand the stall and collapse. After readin the manual it hit me what was happening and now I am anxious to get back in the air and start playing around with it. But now I know what I need to look for and will be practicing the flairs up high to get the right point. I was just use to my Sabre which you flaired all the way when you landed. But this canopy is a different animal.

My Sabre 1 just about stalls (flutters and wavers, sometimes bowtie) when I really bury my toggles.

My earlier rental Sabre's would stall when I pulled 2/3rds of the way down. Can be attributable to older lines that have shrunk in length.

I am NOT an instructor but everyone really should be taught this: Any canopy can stall when the toggles are far enough. Longer steering lines make it harder to stall a canopy. For a canopy that does not stall at toggle burry, simply wrap steering line around wrist and bury again. That eventually does the trick. (Don't do this without prior approval though)

All canopies will stall ike that eventually. If the steering lines are too long for your arms to reach the stall point, you won't be able to stall the canopy, which was the case on your Sabre.

It would seem that if you had long steering lines on every canopy, you wouldn't have to worry about stalling, which is what they do on student rigs. The trouble is that you may be cheating yourself out of some flare by putting it out of reach. OK on a giant student canopy, less Ok as the canopies get smaller.

Ideally, you should have to really reach down waaay far, and hold it there for a moment to get a stall. This way, it won't hapen by accident, by you know that you can reach 99.9% of your flare.

A rigger can assist you in adjusting your lower steering lines to set them to your situation. It may taek a jump or two to find the right setting. If youare using Spectra line, the shrinkage issues will throw this out of whack every 100 jumps or so, and you should re-check and adjust as needed.

If you get up to the Ranch I'll work with you also and jump that canopy if you want.

But as an answer, you dont really want to stall the canopy on landing, you want to get all the lift out of the canopy before you stop flying it. So with a canopy that has an abrupt stall point that might be tough.

Hope to see you up at the Ranch.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome