tombuch

Licensing Music for Tandem Videos

There is another thread discussing the best music for skydiving videos. Many of the suggestions are obvious popular songs. The question wasn’t specific to tandem videos, but I’d like to focus on that market and ask if any drop zones, schools, or camera operators actually license music for their commercial tandem videos. Are there any camera operators that make the effort to use royalty free music rather than popular commercial music?

Recorded music is obviously intellectual property subject to licensing approval, either free or with a charge depending on the interests of the artist. Tandem videos are obviously commercial applications of music. It stands to reason that when popular music is used a license fee is due. Is it possible to buy a bulk license from ASCAP or elsewhere, and at what cost?

Is this an issue on your drop zone, or an issue for camera people? Any thoughts?
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Technically you need synchronization rights. Look here:

http://www.bmi.com/licensing/

Realistically, your chance of encountering liability for a tandem video is pretty small. But if you're paranoid....

Zipp0

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

Realistically, your chance of encountering liability for a tandem video is pretty small. But if you're paranoid....

Well, that's probably what people thought until the recording industry started suing a shitload of college kids for downloading music from public websites onto their home computers for personal use.
All it takes is one song copyright owner to stir the pot over this and have some success at it to start a sea change in how business is done.
An interesting question.

downloading music from public websites onto their home computers for personal use

Almost all Lawsuit were against people SHARING (Distributing) Music. Very few if any were for simply downloading.

Another thing that DZ`s may consider is if they have Music playing at all anywhere on the DZ, BMI/Ascap may come after them as it is a Public place and technically, A License must be purchased to play any Music in a Public place. Sounds crazy but they will do it. BMI/Ascap Lawyers are relentless and aggressive even by typical lawyer standards. In the past they have gone after Coffee Shops, Campgrounds, Department stores and other public places that just had Music playing.

Distribution rights are a different issue all together.

Well, that's probably what people thought until the recording industry started suing a shitload of college kids for downloading music from public websites onto their home computers

First off, I AM NOT EVEN CLOSE to being a lawyer.

Having said that, maybe you could ask the tanedm passenger to bring a CD of their favorite music along. Putting that music on their video for private use seems at least legally murky, instead of outright illegal. The other way is to add no music, and just let the customer add their own.

The thing is, the music lawyers would have to demonstrate a financial loss, and you would be responsible only for the loss amount. So...maybe $20? Is that worth their time/money with things like Gnuetella out there? I doubt it. They have bigger fish to fry.

Zipp0

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

Are there any camera operators that make the effort to use royalty free music rather than popular commercial music?

I've been around two different dropzones enough to see how they do their videos. The first one has the customary stack of CD-Rs with lots of tunes on them; the students get to pick from a list of about 100 songs, or if they want, the video guy will use a track from a CD supplied by the student. The second one apparently only has one or a small number of songs that are used on tandem videos. I get the impression, but don't know for sure, that this is because they've only licensed those few songs.

This is something I've wondered about myself, but never checked into. If somebody does actually talk to ASCAP or BMI about this, it might pay to be fuzzy about your precise line of work; DZs everywhere will be swarming with landsharks if they get a hint of blood in the water.

Eule

(Yes, this is a late reply; I'm catching up on quite the backlog.)
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.