Mr17Hz

Suicides and Skydiving

I wanted to separate this post from the recent suicide thread, but would like to make a few points.

I really hope that we don't see a bunch of people in the sport panic and spend all kinds of rescources and make all kinds of rules that help "Prevent" suicides.

Suicides are like Terrorist attacks. THEY ARE GOING TO HAPPEN, and the best thing we can do is keep our eyes open, act smart, and as a society try to provide social services that help poorly educated and mentally il people.

Suicides do little harm to our sport. To be able to say "x percent of skydiving fatalities were suicides" just takes those out of the "risk" statistics. Sure... if somebody forgets to leave those facts in their report, it could be misleading.... but anybody that wants to prove that skydiving is a high risk and dangerous sport is going to have no problems doing so with or WITHOUT suicides being part of the statistics.

No safety device in the world will stop a man/woman from taking their own life. All that can help is support or help from friends or family. AND MOST OF THE TIME NOT EVEN THAT WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE. Drugs only help so much, also, and for some people make the situation worse.

I morn for everyone that's had to make the decision of taking their own life, it is a tragety. But it has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SPORT OF SKYDIVING. Our planes are just another gun, bridge, building, rope, or bottle of perscription medicines... Our equipment does nothing for these people, it is not our equpiments responsibility to do so.
Matt Christenson

[email protected]
http://www.RealDropzone.com - A new breed of dropzone manifest software.

Why don't you come and join in on the good discussion instead of posting something in the incidents for everyone to think another incident has occured?

By the way, saying that suicides are like terrorist attacks, they are going to happen is a pretty disgusting false negative thing to say.

Mate, someone taking their life in our sport has a fuck load to do with skydiving. Our brothers who run these dropzones(our sport), our brothers that watch this happen(our sport) our pilots that fly these people to altitude(our sport) our brothers that gear and kit these guys up(our sport) our brothers that train these guys (our sport) our brothers that manifest these guys(our sport) our brothers that have to go and help these guys when they go in, our skydiving federations that have to deal with the media and police and familys!! are you kidding me???

Someone that takes their life in our sport via suicide, they have just made it our problem.
All of the people that trained him, flew him, manifested him, took his money etc, they all helped this guy commit suicide I KNOW IT WAS UNINTENTIONAL but when you trick our brothers into helping you kill your self, you are making us load the gun so you can pull the trigger. This has got to affect skydiving. It has alot to do with our sport if this is being used as a "good way to take your life".

.Karnage Krew Gear Store