bungeechef

smoke canister ???

How bad is it in kicking up embers though? It may be really cheap, but if it throws off lots of embers you are going to end up patching the canopy since you'll burn lots of holes in it on deployment and under canopy. Cold smoke is the only thing that should be used in skydiving.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Deployment is usually the only time smoke burns a canopy (if it is used in freefall of course).

If your only going to use the smoke under canopy you can delay ignition till after deployment.

No matter what technique you use you will have to be carefull with the "slag" or "embers" falling down to the crowd and property below. The higher the smoke is ingnited the coller the slag and embers are when they land.

I always try my best to seta pattern up away from the crowd and flamable property, but in a good line of sight for the crowd to see.

(not directed to you Phreezone, just adding my 2 cents;))
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Illegal to use the emergency flares in Utah, don't know about other states tho.
Not terribly related, but I was going to buy a Silhouette 200 from a demo jumper here that only has 150 jumps on it. There are several small burn "marks" from flares on it, and a couple of small patches in the nose from flying "thru" other jumper's smoke.
On my first jump with it, it blew up with a 3" hole in the top of the canopy. Rigger figures fabric was weakened by a small burn and it tore from there.

Just be a bit careful with hot smoke....

Stuff thats out of date, is out of date for a reason......Most of it is OK, but you can get some that doesn't go off at all, and now and again it can go off with a bang, all at once (the chemical ripens up a bit I guess)......like jumping with a hand grenade......

I recall a jumper somewhere years ago having his foot blown clean off.......and another burning the saddle out of his B4 harness and falling clean out of it on opening.....

However, if you do have hot smoke you need to have an insulator between yourself and the canister if you are using it in FF. Under canopy you can attach it to a piece of wire and let it drop 6 - 8 feet below you....just be careful when you land if its still fizzing not to let your canopy come down on top of it....

And for any newbie who wants to try jumping smoke...Don't!!!.... till you have a bit of experience, and until you've talked to someone who knows all about it.....usually one of the old DZ dinosaurs......
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....