veri

When skydiving is more than skydiving

I find that time in sport is generally inversely proportional to how much "meaning" and "mysticism" people try to attribute to the sport.

i.e., the newbies are almost pathetic in trying to find a higher meaning in it. The old-timers just really enjoy their favorite activity and don't make it any more or less than it really is.

But the exceptions to this rule are usually very funny to talk to - but they tend to go overboard on everything in their lives. The plus side is, it works for them.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

As someone who's new to skydiving, I must say that what I love about it most is facing my fear, and overcoming it. I've had a fear of heights for a very long time, and skydiving helped me face that in a very controlled and "relativley" safe manner.

There are other aspects too, including being in complete control of my own fate (except for packing, I'll be learning that in the next couple weeks) and knowing that experience of floating on air.

While I was on the drop zone for my first and second jump, I realized that each drop zone is really it's own family, and it becomes really easy to meet lots of different people, from a huge variety of backgrounds, all coming together to share a common interest.

In all, I would say that it's the social and psychological aspects of skydiving that has got me hooked.
What goes up, must come DOWN!!!

I always think it's rather interesting to note the change in what skydiving 'means' to someone that has just replaced their 'swagger' ....with a limp!

That does seem to change their outlook on things.:)
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals