BobxMarley

AAF Information

Hey DZ,

I just started jumping. I passed my Level 1 and 2 last Saturday. I'm hooked. I'm digging for any bit of money I have to make it out again this weekend!

How are the rest of the AFF levels? Which are the ones that you struggled with or did you pass them all first try?
Klaasic

AFF-2... repeated 4 times.

Good times. :$
I feel that toward the end I remembered the dive flow of that particular jump better than my instructors. LoL.

And.. hey... I have one of those funny "AFF FAIL!" videos to show around (advice: lower your speakers volume):
http://flickr.com/gp/104470974@N05/d88224
so I'd say, totally worth it!

My instructors and I still periodically laugh at this one, my attempts at AFF2 quickly became a running joke. I certainly made sure to give her a run for my money on this jump! I got full service: dive down at student falling out of control, dock to stop spin and even deploy the parachute for me because I couldn't find the PC. Probably, if we took a groundhog skydiving, it would have been as useful as me on that jump. :P But I didn't give up, my instructors were absolutely great and it all worked out in the end.

I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

BobxMarley

How are the rest of the AFF levels? Which are the ones that you struggled with or did you pass them all first try?

I hear most people talk of stalling on level 3, the first release dive. But most of my students pass on the first one. Good ground prep and practice account for a lot of that, I think. :)
Smile, breathe, arch, relax, have fun.

Oh, and pick a point on the horizon to hold your heading. :)

That's what I hear to. Both 1 and 2 for me went really well. I didn't have receive any correction signals which was awesome. So, I'm hoping the release dive will be smooth as well.

Funny you say smile. On my second jump I was doing my circle of awareness and I looked over at my reserve side instructor. He paused and I was thinking he was going to give me a correction signal. Instead, he pulled down his mouth cover, gave me a big smile, and pointed to it with his hand.

Obviously I was tense haha. It is a image I will have stuck in my head forever.
Klaasic

BobxMarley

Which are the ones that you struggled with or did you pass them all first try?

I can't figure out how this info will help you. Pay close attention to all of your ground preps, and be confident on every jump. Telling you that "many students have trouble with XXX" will probably cause you more trouble than help. EVERY level has been a struggle for someone!
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

BobxMarley

Hey DZ,

I just started jumping. I passed my Level 1 and 2 last Saturday. I'm hooked. I'm digging for any bit of money I have to make it out again this weekend!

My struggles were door fear, and exit de-arch. I'm not sure if everyone does the exact same AFF levels (I assume so except special programmes like chicago's AFP and such) but I can say that I found they actually get easier as you go on. I'm on level 7 which means I'll have to get recurrent in the spring, so I can not say I'm an expert ;) Just another student. I think a lot of it is comfort and confidence in the sky.

Smiling is not optional, do it often. Its good for the soul. Heck, try doing it on the ground more often too, it can change your life.
You are not the contents of your wallet.

BobxMarley

That's what I hear to. Both 1 and 2 for me went really well. I didn't have receive any correction signals which was awesome.

That is rare and that is good. B|

I tell everyone they have to earn the release. There's usually a hand signal or two (legs out being the most common) before I release them. I see Youtube videos of level 3s with poor body position being released, with the predictable poor results. Not this guy. ;):D

Sounds like you'll have a smooth dive. Listen to your ground prep. They should tell you to find a point on the horizon and use that for a heading reference. Have fun. :)

Something not mentioned is landing. Whether the FF goes well or not, you still have to land that canopy. Don't forget the basics of a predictable landing pattern and looking out for others under canopy as you descend.

I have seen many fellow students get caught up in dive flows and forget the need to preserve their bodies with focused control under canopy. Down wind, base, final...landing priorities: (1) wing level (2) land in the clear, avoiding obstacles (3) flare.

REF: SIM Sec. 4 Cat. A.1.Solo: E.

uhuru10

Something not mentioned is landing. Whether the FF goes well or not, you still have to land that canopy. Don't forget the basics of a predictable landing pattern and looking out for others under canopy as you descend.

I have seen many fellow students get caught up in dive flows and forget the need to preserve their bodies with focused control under canopy. Down wind, base, final...landing priorities: (1) wing level (2) land in the clear, avoiding obstacles (3) flare.

Practice your PLF before you need it. I have had some high flares and hard hits (no wind days stink) where my PLF was the difference between broken pieces and a bruise.

I see you list Long Beach as home. Head over to the wind tunnel at Perris and talk with them. A session should tune up your body position, relax you and let you focus on feeling the air. Much cheaper than burning jet fuel.

Practicing turns and deployment positions with walls will correct any backsliding position problems before they become bad habits.

Kevin

uhuru10

landing priorities: (1) wing level (2) land in the clear, avoiding obstacles (3) flare.

That's the order of task performance, but flaring is a higher priority than missing obstacles. You should always flare a square canopy for landing, even if (or especially if) you're landing on an obstacle. If that's a direct quote, it's poorly worded. :)
I'm not sure who wrote that part of the SIM or when, but I think my class syllabus predates it. ;)

The first landing I had was hard. I was on a 260 and I flared late. Feet to ass boom.

My second landing however was epic. They threw a 280 on my back and I did the shoulder/waist flare at the right time. Landed on my feet with a two step. It was awesome. Couldn't stop stoking after that.
Klaasic

BobxMarley

The first landing I had was hard. I was on a 260 and I flared late. Feet to ass boom.

My second landing however was epic. They threw a 280 on my back and I did the shoulder/waist flare at the right time. Landed on my feet with a two step. It was awesome. Couldn't stop stoking after that.

I've been purposely PLFing my landings until I'm comfortable with my flare... maybe not the ideal thing, but a good PLF is better than a decent stand up in my mind. I dont mind getting a little dirt on me... and someday that could save my life. My instructor saw me PLF a great flared landing, and asked why... I said "I'd rather practice on a good landing than learn on a bad one".

PLF baby... cuz you like your bones to only move at the joints.

Just completed my levels 3 and 4 today. So stoked. Passed both with flying colors.

My landing on level 3 wasn't that good. I was on a 260 again. However, on level 4, they threw me back on a 280 and I had another stand up landing. I think I'm just going to use a 280 for awhile.
Klaasic

BobxMarley

Just completed my levels 3 and 4 today. So stoked. Passed both with flying colors.

My landing on level 3 wasn't that good. I was on a 260 again. However, on level 4, they threw me back on a 280 and I had another stand up landing. I think I'm just going to use a 280 for awhile.

But have you done a PLF yet? If you're standing up thats great... until you cant. I've seen more than a few people (some close friends included) who never learned to PLF well. Hell, one of my good friends had his C license before a PLF became suddenly necessary and he botched it. Google "Pilon Fracture" and remember you don't want one of those. He is my inspiration for learning how to do a proper one and with my level 4 high-flare I came down hard from about 20 feet. Being in healthcare a 20 foot fall for an adult meets the definition of a "Trauma Alert" and usually is indicative of MAJOR, LIFE THREATENING, injuries. I had a scratch on my hand and a bruise on my right thigh.

If you're worried about looking silly, just tell people beforehand you're going to work on your PLF. When I remarked this at my DZ a lot of heads nodded and a lot of "good idea!" poked around. I have 25 jumps to stand up, but your PLF is an EP, and should be practiced.

Just wear a borrowed jumpsuit ;)

Sorry to belabour the point, I love skydiving but want everyone to land safe every day. I see enough death and disability in my job as an ER doc... I don't want to deal with it in my recreational loves :)