MagicGuy

Final Approach Altitudes

My main concern at this point in my skydiving career are my landings. My flares have been great (knock on wood). I've stood up all of my landings, jumping on canopies ranging from 260s to a 190. My biggest issue is setting up my final approach.

I've been using the techniques that I've been taught.. 1000' start downwind, 500' start crosswind, 200' start final approach. But I'm having a lot of problems in getting the canopy to land where I want it to land.

My biggest issue has been overshooting my landing. But I've also had issues with not having a long enough crosswind base of the landing to get to where I want to be to start my final approach.

I know that the whole 1000' thing that I explained earlier isn't necessarily set in stone, but I'd be interested to hear some techniques that others use to land your canopy where you actually want it to land. I know perfection doesn't come in 18 jumps but any little helpful hints would be cool to hear.

I'm having the same sort of issues as you.
I think what I've been doing is sticking too much to those altitudes you mentioned, and it was causing me to go to far downwind, or not far enough, depending on the wind.

This past weekend I decided I would play it by ear... I've had enough jumps now that I can sort of guess if I've gone too far downwind and all that, so this instead of sticking so hard to the 1000,500,200, I just turned when I thought I was going too far downwind, wasted some altitude time going into wind (as it wouldn't blow me too far away), then did the cross wind, and finally into wind - probably not at 200, but when I felt I was in the right place. Did a few half brake turns to lose a little more altitude, and finally landed in the circle for my first time without assistance.
I don't know if this would help you, but seeing you have roughly about the same jumps as me, instead of sticking so strictly to the heights try to play it by ear and see how you go. *shrug*
Or read that post someone linked above hehe.

I think you're on the right track. Obviously, the specific altitudes are a guide, and will change with wind conditions. You both have enough jumps, now, to eyeball it and make the needed changes. Remember that with more altitude comes more options. Once you get low on an approach, you can't add power like an airplane. So, if you end up a little high on final, that's better than being too low because you can do some S-turns to bleed off the extra altitude until you get it where you want it. Just go back and forth across the windline and try to time it so that you are back in the middle when it's time to get back on your heading for final approach. Remember to keep your landing area in sight during your turns and to NOT MAKE ANY LOW TURNS. Landing at a heading not exactly aligned with the wind is nowhere as bad as trying to get directly into the wind at the last minute with a low turn.;)

See if you can get a copy of Brian Germain's book, The Parachute and Its Pilot. Brian explains everything you ever wanted to know about parachutes and flying and landing them. There's a write-up about it here: http://www.skydivingmagazine.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SBS&Product_Code=TPAIP&Category_Code=1B

If any of this contradicts what your instructors have told you, by all means, follow thier advise. You can't believe everything you read on the internet.:P

Kevin

It’s not a bad idea to use the 1000, 500, and 300 rule. Just know that in different wind conditions where you start is going to be very different. You can adjust the
--------------------------------------------
-
-
-
- -----------------

So you land where you want. For example on a high wind day such as Saturday you would have to start you’re down wind far from the inactive runway and your base should be almost a 90-degree to where you wanted to land. And at 300 feet where you turn on finale you will be dropping straight down with no penetration so you would end on exactly where you want.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

There is some really good information in here so far that may help you get where you want to go. The main thing I would add is that you might consider jumping the same size canopy for a while. Maybe stop the down sizing game, and learn to fly the canopy you are presently jumping with. This will build a level of consistency for you so the only variable will be the wind which will always be a variable. Jumping different glide paths and wing loadings along with varying wind conditions really makes it challenge even for more experienced skydivers to be accurate consistently.

The turning final at 200’ may be a little low to make small correction on final to land where you want to. The higher you can turn final the more time you have to make minor corrections. I have most students target 400’ as their turn to final. This allows a little more time to develop a good sense of depth perception, and it will help keep things from feeling like they are happening too fast for you. Remember to a certain extent the wind conditions will affect where you do your turns at, but not to the extreme that turning below 200’ is a good idea for students.

Lastly, and most importantly you really need to listen to your instructors at your dropzone. They are on sight and can give the best information. I would recommend getting to know one canopy and sticking with it for a while. Your learning curve will grow that much faster.

P.S. Nice job on those stand up landings. Just remember not to try and force them, it can be painful. If it’s there, then stand up; if not PLF.

(DYING TO LEARN OR LEARNING TO DIE, JUST A THOUGHT)

im having the odd problem with landing accuracy, im always dead in line with the centre of the circle, but tend to over and under shoot alot (but not always) never by more than 30ft, but its just a little annoying, what i tend to do when flying downwind is turn into wind when im level with the circle, and look down and to the side to see what the circle is doing (moving forward/back etc) and adjust the length of my downwind leg accordingly. i tend to overshoot more than under, but this tends to be seemingly due to my flare more than anything, i hit the centre of the circle(ish) at around 5-10ft, then do a nice slow smooth flare that carries me for a distance (i jump a pilot 190 mostly and if i flare too quick i feel like i go up then come backwards so i prefer either a very slow smooth flare or a two stage jobbie) and i end up quite a distance away. trouble is i cant jump frequently enough (money and distance from dz) to establish any sure pattern.

With very low jump numbers I've found the BPA's Canopy Handling manual very helpful.

I try to practice the techneques as much as possible under canopy as long as it's safe to do so (enough altitude, clear airspace etc) and generally ask an instructor before trying anything new (in case my interpretation is wrong).

Hope you find it useful too.

Neil.