chrismgtis

Had to cancel AFF this weekend - hurt my eardrum

I went to the doctor and he looked at my left ear. In my last dive I had some pain (my first dive) during descent. From what I understand my left eardrum is pushed in, instead of being slightly pushed outwards like it is supposed to be and I have to wait a week or two to see if it heals.

This really sucks. I was looking very forward to tomorrow morning to start AFF.

[:/]
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

The doctor said the eardrum was pushed the other way, so I guess the jump caused that. [:/] I don't know...

The pain wasn't THAT bad, but it the pressure in my left ear just wouldn't release like it should in freefall. My right ear was fine and there was some pain in my left ear enough that I was like wtf. Didn't hurt enough to stop me from enjoying the jump.

I mainly wanted to go to the doctor cause of some sites I have read and since I experienced discomfort in my left ear and the pressure wasnt equalizing I wanted to make sure there was nothing going on that would be dangerous if I skydived this weekend.

I'm scared to death that I'll never be able to jump cause of some odd reason that the pressure doesnt equalize in my left ear correctly... I dont know.

My doctor said if I burst my left eardrum I could skydive all I wanted, but I'm not going to stick a hole in my ear to do that. I sure wish I could so I could dive this weekend though. :-/

For the most part, the sky will always be there the next day. Heal up and jump once your healed up.

:)
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

For the most part, the sky will always be there the next day. Heal up and jump once your healed up.

I really hope it's that easy and that there is nothing wrong with my eustachian tube causing my left ear to not be able to release pressure fast enough.

I am in week 4 of no jumping because of an ear problem. As a fulltime skydiver that is not good for the bank!
Basicaly STOP until you are healed otherwise you will run into complications like I did.
I had a busy weekend doing tandems and was feeling a bit bunged up so I took decongestent and some neocitron for my cold symptoms. DO NOT TAKE ANYTHING LIKE NEOCITRON!!!
What it does is actually thicken the moisture build up in your head(nose,sinus,ear tube from nose to ear) and make you feel a bit better. This then is like water in a pond a breeds life, thus causing very bad infections. Also this turns dry afterwards and during the thickening and drying up process can complicate the pressure balances in your ears. My head literally exploded as I deployed my set 400 and I landed with out incident. I was in a lot of pain and the pressure build up would get to very painful stage and then release letting of a painful farting sound in my ear. Then the pressure would not release and thus came the eardrum itself having to give way and relive the pressure.
On the 5 hr drive home the slightest hill was horrible and my doctor has called me a moron for continuing to jump.

The moral of the story is get it fixed and then jump which should not take long or be out for a longer period of time taking antibiotics and some really nasty steriod sh*t that you have to shoot up your nose every 2 hours>:(That sh*t really makes you sneeze and by the way its not true that if you sneeze 12 times or more in a row you orgasm.....you just hurt your ears even more and cover your house in snot!B|

Anyway goodluck with AFF hope you do great and have a blast!!
Quinny