SethInMI

Magellan Explorist ?

I got a Magellan Explorist as a gift. I would like to use it for general outdoor navigation and logging jump tracks. I haven't opened it yet, b/c I want to make sure it is suitable for skydive logging.

I read the online manual, and found the logging feature is "automatic", it logs a point when a "significant" change in speed or position has occured. I am not too happy about this.

A search of DZ.com does not reveal any references to the Explorist, so I wonder if I should just return it and buy a Garmin.

Anyone with Explorist experience?

Seth
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

I can't imagine that a GPS unit of any brand would be very good for "logging" jumps. Since a lot of your movements would be almost the same at your DZ, this would take up a lot of memory in the unit. Some folks have used them on wingsuit jumps to map their travels, but again, I don't think most GPS units will store 100+ tracks.

GPS is great for its purpose. IMO this is not it. There is a small electronic unit that you can use for this purpose, that will tell you much more about each jump, as well as logging them all. It will also beep for you when it's time to open your parachute.

Kevin

I would like to use it for general outdoor navigation and logging jump tracks

Which model of the Explorist do you have? It shouldn't be an issue to download your GPS data to examine it. If you also want it to serve as a log of your jumps then you are going to need to get a copy of PARALOG. It is the only software that is capable of downloading your GPS/Neptune/Protrack data and also store it as a jump log. As long as your GPS has a PC interface you should be able to download data from jumps.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I would be transferring the data from the GPS to my computer and saving the data there, so the amount of memory in the GPS is not a big concern. I know that there are excellent barometric loggers, but I would like to have something for logging XY and Z data, for Google Earth purposes, for tracking jumps, and just for the hell of being able to see my canopy flight in 3D.

I have an Explorist 210.

I guess the heart of my question goes to the track log difference between Magellan and Garmin, that is, Magellan only appears to support "automatic" tracking, while Garmin can log on an interval (1 per second, etc). Is this anything to worry about?

How about mounting, I assume I would attach it to my chest strap or have a pocket sewn somewhere on my jumpsuit for it. I know people use the Etrex series, they look to be about the same size as the Explorist.

Thanks,

Seth
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

I would like to have something for logging XY and Z data, for Google Earth purposes, for tracking jumps, and just for the hell of being able to see my canopy flight in 3D.

Then the only software you will need is Paralog, it does all of that and then some. See the link I posted in my prior post to see all of the details of what it can do.Paralog supports all OS platforms as well as GPS file types.Off the top of my head I cannot say if the 210 logs data points 1 per sec or not. I'd have to look at the spec sheet.

As for mounting, a chest mounted gps works well and is easy to impliment. Ideal placement is on the helmet or other area where the GPS has a clear view of the sky.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING