FlyinTiki

Blind Sit-Fly?

I have a quick question regarding some advice that was given to me. As you can see, I'm a new jumper. I've got 40 jumps, about 10 have been sitting. I was recently told by a rather experienced, and skilled jumper at my DZ that he was told, when at my stage, to close his eyes for a few seconds when trying to sit. Of course, this would be away from others, etc... He said that because you can't rely on your vision, all you can feel is the wind. It makes sense, and would seem that it would be helpful in getting in correct position/understanding the wind. Flying blind seems to be a bit dangerous to me. Has anyone else heard this/tried this/or comment on this for me? Thank you very much!

I personally would wait and get allot more jumps under my belt before blinding myself to try to learn any skill.
Just my .02cents worth.

Skydiving gave me a reason to live
I'm not afraid of what I'll miss when I die...I'm afraid of what I'll miss as I live

i've done it, with no problems. several people at my dz suggested doing an exit, while closing my eyes. my plan was to count to 10 before opening them, but i barely got to 5 before i freaked out and had to look at my altimeter.

MB 3528, RB 1182

What happens if i forget to open my eyes?

Flaring at the correct height might be a bit hard, to say the least...

Seriously, I don't think flying with your eyes closed for a couple of seconds is inherently dangerous, as long as the newbie freeflyer follows some basic safety rules- namely proper exit order and separation, freefall orientation and awareness of surroundings.

Hey man, I was the one who told you to try it....and the person who gave me the suggestion is Gravity Girl....from Byron. Now don't leave the plane blindfolded or anything....and this is a solo jump...but just close them for a few seconds....5 to 10. Feel the wind on the parts of the body you are trying to fly with. It works....

See you this weekend hopefully.
JJ

"Call me Darth Balls"

Hey JJ,
It was Rock that told me to try the whole eyes-closed thing. I think I remember you tellin' me to go barefoot to feel the wind. Looks like I'll just hafta' get out there and try it all. Won't be up there this weekend, have a wedding. See you next weekend.
Mike
They can't catch us. We're on a mission from God.