ryan_d_sucks

Will I freeze?

Did you ever jump into the high arctic when you were in the airborne, Brian?

I've jumped into the arctic, but not into the high arctic. The furthest north I have jumped was Iqaluit and Rankin Inlet, and that was in the early summer. Still lots of ice and snow - in fact the ocean was still frozen solid.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

Wear warm clothes that cover your skin. The freefall is about 40-50 seconds, the canopy ride about...well 5-10 minutes. If you can stay outside at ground without starting to freeze, then you will be ok. :)
I've heard that when ground temperature goes below -30 C, cutaway cable /reserve wires / stuff may start to freeze shut, :o but when it gets that cold, I prefer to stay inside by the fireplace with a hot cup of cacao. :)

Have you considered a static line course instead of AFF if there are a small cesna dropzone nearby?

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I have heard that the air temperature generally decreases 3 degrees for every 1000 feet of elevation. (Therefore 10k altitude is 30 degrees colder)

I thought it was 1.8 degrees/1000ft?

EDIT:

The figure quoted in books for the 'standard atmosphere' is a 1.98 °C drop for every 1000ft,

Hm, well I was close, hehe. :ph34r:
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan